a poor replica (spoon)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
this spoon really caught my eye and appealed to me on a family day out to St fagans last weekend:

IMGP5274.jpg

i thought i would try to replicate it:

IMAG0196.jpg

this is about 7 inches long, unfortunately i think the handle is a bit heavy and it has less appeal because it does not (yet) have the patina caused by years of use. i do like this bowl shape, pefect for "slurping" cawl.
i do not know but i am currently assuming that the more wealthy in society had spoons with turned handles and the poorer carved spoons. i draw this conclusion because of the ammount of time (& extra effort & work) it took to make compared with a carved spoon. (this spoon is made in one plane, the first attempt with the centres offset came loose and fired itself across the yard landing in a bunch of filfth. i have not entirely got my head round the offset).

i would really like to make 4 or 6 all matching to go in a rack. we'll see. i filled out the rest of the afternoon carving a 6 inch hazel eater for my boy and a slightly larger eater from cherry:

03_121.jpg

critique more than welcome. photos taken with a mobile telephone so sorry about the quality.

Paul

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
you could do the same spoon with a flat handle for cooking and small one with round handles for eating, very nice looking spoons. well done cheers the interceptor boy.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That is remarkably good for a first crack at it. The turned handle is actually very quick when you are geared up for it and these things were produced in big numbers. My friend Eric Rogers did a little book which explained amongst other things how to do the offset turned handle. It was about 20 years ago but I see it is still available here http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=51

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That is remarkably good for a first crack at it. The turned handle is actually very quick when you are geared up for it and these things were produced in big numbers. My friend Eric Rogers did a little book which explained amongst other things how to do the offset turned handle. It was about 20 years ago but I see it is still available here http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=51

they do mike abbots living wood for half the price of amazon as well.

I have been making cawls spoons and getting them wrong as well, I couldnt get the bowl shape and tilt right. i made wooden spoons instead of true cawls.

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
That is remarkably good for a first crack at it. The turned handle is actually very quick when you are geared up for it and these things were produced in big numbers.

thanks robin, maybe a workshop suggestion for Spoonfest? made 3 more today about an hour and ten to and hour and a half per spoon. and a rack to hang them in. i think i will have to paint the turned handles, no matter how much i wash my hands nothing gets them clean of hydraulic oil, grease and inground filfth like handling greenwood (or grating cheese or washing my daughters hair) and unlike carved spoons where i can finish and clean up when dry) there is now little i can do about the grubbyness apart from paint.

I have been making cawls spoons and getting them wrong as well, I couldnt get the bowl shape and tilt right. i made wooden spoons instead of true cawls.

xylaria, i think there are as many styles of cawl spoons as there are recipies for cawl! as long as the bowl is of a size suited to holding a good slurp of broth all is good? have you seen these 2 bits of film, Carwen & Mansel talking about spoons and cawl? if not have a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDRyRC5ocK8 & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGhn9OBzhos not much out there about cawl spoons, plenty about lovespoons, plenty about the swedish style and plenty about the eastern european handcrafts but what about the traditional Welsh (and for that matter English) styles?

Paul

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
416782_10150737511802533_555587532_11252479_1410500285_n.jpg

t'was meant to be a 4 holer but it split as i bosched it together in a hurry before the wife and kids got home last night.

i think you blog posts confirm there is not a specific style to a cawl spoon Robin?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE