A pair of littl' uns compared...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Traditionally, it has been recommended that the length of your knife blade should not be greater than the width of the palm of your hand. the pundits then go on to explain about safety, mechanical advantage and so on in very persuasive terms.

There does seem to be a slowly growing interest in knives with a relatively short blade length because, as Dave Watson from Woodland Survival Crafts states, we normally carry "...at least one knife plus an axe and folding or bow saw whilst in the woods"; later, he asks, "So why carry a large knife that will do some of the work that the axe will do whilst also carrying an axe?".

So, with that idea in my head, I thought it might be an idea to do a comparative test between the W.S.C. Bushcraft knife and something of similar dimensions, in this case, a Ben Orford Whittler. This, then, is a preliminary review of the two knives; there will be an update as I get to know them both rather better in the weeks and months to come.

First, the facts: both knives are made out of 01 tool steel, hardened to a Rockwell C of the high 50s. Both are full tang knives from 3mm or 1/8" stock. Both knives had good, defined square backs that produced sparks from a firesteel easily. Both are handmade, the Bushcraft knife by Roger Harrington, the Whittler by Ben Orford.

5142720152_b53528c53f.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1314 by Richard Tiley, on Flickr[/IMG]
Here are the Bushcraft above and the Whittler below.

The Dave Watson-designed Bushcraft knife has a 31/4" blade and unfinished ash slabs. It will cost you £195.00 + £10 p&p. It comes with what can only be described as a utilitarian sheath, from the 'if-it-fits-one-of-'em-it'll-fit-the-lot' school of leatherwork. It has a generously sized loop for belt attachment that, in use, is a rather stiff and clumsy affair.

Now, for a shade over £200, I would expect a knife of the highest order of finish. Sadly, this is not true of the Bushcraft. The slabs did not fit flush with the tang and were rather crudely and unevenly finished. When subjected to the 'paper test', the blade gave me more a lesson in origami than a cutting demonstration. So, I had to take it to the waterstones to try and get a suitable - usable - edge on it. Close inspection while doing this revealed a certain unevenness of grind.

5142721090_3533a803ee.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1319 by Richard Tiley, on Flickr[/IMG]

Undaunted - though a little disappointed - I started using the knife. It acquitted itself quite well and was easy to use when carving in tight corners. It split and feathered a length of hazel perfectly well though produced a juddering or guttering feel when making the curls.

IMG_1325 by Richard Tiley, on Flickr

If I'm to be brutally honest about the Bushcraft, I think that it is a really good, carefully thought out design that has been let down by rushed workmanship. I am sure that as I get used to its size and blade shape that I will be able to create an increasingly informed opinion about this knife.

5142116581_f902a628b6.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1317 by Richard Tiley, on Flickr[/IMG]

And so to the Ben Orford Whittler. This has a 3" blade with Olive Ash slabs. It costs £165.00 + £7.50 p&p and comes with a well-shaped, wet-moulded leather sheath. On my example, there is a belt loop which does allow the knife to be carried around the neck - something worth thinking about for knives of this size and weight.

The fit and finish of the Whittler were beyond criticism. The slabs fitted flush with the tang of the blade and had been oiled or waxed. The knife sailed through the 'paper test' and I found I was able to shave incredibly fine hairs of paper off the sheet with no hint of stuttering in the cut. A bit of a strop and an inspection of the grind showed that they were even. So far, so good.

5142117161_bc3ef163c3.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1320 by Richard Tiley, on Flickr[/IMG]

In use, the knife was a real pleasure. Like the Bushcraft, the Whittler was very manoeuvrable in tight turns and corners. It split hazel readily and produced fine feathers very smoothly and easily.

5142117741_c787b51ec0.jpg
[/url]
IMG_1322 by Richard Tiley, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have to admit that this littl' un impressed from the word 'go'. Beautifully finished, incredibly sharp, it spoke of a knife maker at the top of his game. When packaged in a beautiful, hand-stitched sheath that fitted without throttling the knife, it is hard not to prefer it straightaway. Add to these observations the fact that it is £30 cheaper that its fellow in this review and the case for its preference is complete.

However, as I said earlier, this is an initial review. I am looking forward to seeing how the knives develop over time and whether I will return to using my usual 11cm bladed wonder. We shall see.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Hmmm. I'll have to try and sort this one out. And I thought that technology was easy and quick! Please be patient - I'll try and get it sorted as soon as possible; in the meantime, read the text and imagine!

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
I've found myself drifting more and more to smaller blades too. In many cases just a folder rather than a fixed.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Same. You seem to be missing the actual URL. As in, the image file name is there, but you forgot the h ttp//hostingwebsite.com bit

So what's this then? How do I get the pictures on to the review? I thought simply dragging the images from my desktop to the article would be OK. This is obviously not the case. Any clues about how I can get the flamin' images into the text?

Apologies for my ineptitude. It's a result of trying to spend more time outdoors, enjoying the wilds!

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I 'think' the problem with images not coming up is the original http:// thats in the pop up box should be deleted before you post a direct link to image... so you get

http:// <------ Remove

have a look at the Image strings when you go to edit on your post if it helps? Should just look like this (without stars)

2m6ofvq.jpg

TBL.

Last edited:
yep i found my 3/4 scale knives that i have made for children far more usful and used than a normal Bushcraft blade even with a 3 finger handle

then again its more what ive been used to as before i discoverd bushcraft andf you need a certain knife my cutting tools of choice where a swiss army knife (locking blade ) and a large Kukri

so i prefer a 2 blade system to the one jack of all trades mid size thats popular

ATB

Duncan

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I admit defeat. Technology be damned! I have filled in the full Flickr address on the image box, as requested, and still we live in an unillustrated world. My computer skills for - and, more importantly, my patience with - this daft, apparently 'straightforward' technology, are at an end. I'm off to the woods to do what all bushcrafters should do rather than sit behind this irritating glowing screen. Pah!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I admit defeat. Technology be damned! I have filled in the full Flickr address on the image box, as requested, and still we live in an unillustrated world. My computer skills for - and, more importantly, my patience with - this daft, apparently 'straightforward' technology, are at an end. I'm off to the woods to do what all bushcrafters should do rather than sit behind this irritating glowing screen. Pah!

I too am a Luddite!
Burn the machines and head for the woods!:D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've copied and pasted the links within your image tags and they don't work on their own either. No idea what you are copying and pasting in there, but it isn't a link to the image.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hi Tiley, if your using flikr, click on the share this tab, open the third header down called "Grab the HTML/BBCode" and you will see the text box with a code in, below this you need to change the spot button to BB code, then copy the code displayed into the insert image text box for your post, hope this helps,

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

It looks to me like you are pasting the wrong link. Your images should have a jpg tag at the end indicating they are jpg files. Not familiar with Flicker but if you look around in there a bit, I think you will find the right url to post.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Fingers crossed - I think I might have succeeded! Please let me know if the pictures remain invisible/inaccessible and I will burn my laptop for a witch.

Hope the words make a bit more sense now. Apologies for my ineptitude!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE