A Night Under the Stars with my Eldest.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
As the weather had given us a window we decided to go and do a quick overnighter somewhere not too far.

The biggest issue when taking small kids wild camping is the logistics, because obviously they don't have the strength to carry all their own gear. So my tarp and groundsheet have to be big enough for two, and I need to carry double the food and water. Owen (9) was confident he could manage his sleeping bag and mat, a headtorch, his jacket and a small book.

This was the load out.

Jul12013.jpg

We picked a spot but had to abondon it as we were getting mullered by mossies. Even wilmas nordic summer balm was struggling, man I love the smell of that stuff! So by the time we found another place it was getting a bit dark but Owen thought it was way cooller as the sandstone bluff made it feel more stoneage.

Jul12015.jpg

Got a small fire going straightaway to help with the bugs, cook our supper on and of course keep the wolves at bay.

Jul12016.jpg

A fillet of salmon each for supper, cooked over the fire for a delicious smoky flavour.

Jul12017.jpg

The choice of beverage for the evening, for Dad anyway!

Jul12018.jpg

Starving, he never took his eyes off his fish as he waited.

Jul12019.jpg

This happy chappie watched over us through the night. Owen went off quick and slept really well. I struggled to nod off and then slept only fitfully. It might have been because it was a new place and I had Owen with me to think about. There was a running stream nearby and the sound of it was masking other sounds and making me hear things. I also need a new sleeping mat as my Millets one is naff :rolleyes:

Jul12020.jpg

View of the camp next morning.

Jul12021.jpg

Snug as a bug in a rug. My brother brought me that blanket back from Nepal years ago. Its made from yak hair and is so warm but weighs so little that its always worth bringing.

Jul12022.jpg

Morning brew on the go.

Jul12023.jpg

View from the other side. Unconventional tarp set up but I'm reasonably confident it would have kept us dry if it had rained. I guess we'll never know!

Jul12024.jpg

Finest choppery.

Jul12025.jpg

The light of a new day dancing through the trees.

Jul12026.jpg

Enough of the poetry, get the bacon on!

Jul12027.jpg

Practising carving skewers for next time.

Jul12030.jpg

The way out..

Jul12031.jpg

Jul12032.jpg

I ended up carrying his pack on the way back to the car. :rolleyes:

Jul12033.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sean

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Lovely pics and story, thanks for telling it. That Norwegian pack on the right is great. I use mine all the time. What's your pack? It looks similar in basic design to my Austrian army one but has a quite few more bits and pieces by the look.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Awsome mate always nice to see a dad and his son out together teaching him things he will never forgot.
Cracking pics mate and a nice setup. I like the carving on the rock

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Looks like a great trip ..lovely woodland your in and what looks like a good spot to camp up for the night,,,and well done for carring his pack on the way back to the car you want the wee man to have fun and enjoy the trips..... and when hes older he can carry all your gear:lmao:

Jason

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Beautiful looking place, I'm working on convinving the wife that wild camping isn't dangerous in any shape of form. she's not too keen on me going with the kids into the 'middle of nowhere' so have stayed at local campsites. But personally I'd like to go into one of the woods nearby as it'll be free :)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thanks fellas. The pack I'm carrying is the Frost River Isle Royale Jnr.

Mousey I've wildcamped a few times with Owen now and its always very relaxing, more so even than camping on campsites. You do things at your own pace, there's no noise from other people and you don't have to traipse miles for a wee ;)

Jason I had no choice in carrying his pack really, he was lagging so far behind we'd still be there now :) Unlike adults kids just don't see the point in enduring any sort of discomfort. As soon as it gets tough the fun element evaporates and so does their focus. This kind of thing will hopefully stand him in good stead for when he's older though.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I have no knowledge of it Rich. I'll see what I can look up. It didn't look old and had a cartoony quality about it. Very cool though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Memories like that are gold :D

Thank for sharing..........it's uncanny how much your son's colouring resembles my two. I have a photo of my Andrew crashed out just like Owen; you'd swear it was the same child :)
I found that if we weighed their schoolbags and lunch boxes, and then filled their rucksacs to that weight, plus their jackets, then they understood that it wasn't heavy to lug, it was just different.

They grow up too quickly; enjoy their youth :D

Lovely looking bit of woodland :cool:

atb,
M

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Looks like a cracking trip...these are the occasions that kids will remember for the rest of their lives.

I'm also still trying to persuade my wife to let me take the kids wild camping but she's dead set against it. She loves camping at campsites but hates the idea of us being in the middle of nowhere.

I keep trying to tell her that yes, there is a mad axeman in the woods but he's me, the axe is just for chopping firewood and the madness is just a reaction to the midges.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Looks like a nice little trip - thanks for sharing. Nice packs as well.mIm considering a frosts River as a cheaper option to a Duluth bush rafter. I also own one of those Norwegian day packs - I do find that with any weight on board the thin leather straps aren't the most comfy. Anyway, thanks for sharing, really makes me want to get out into the woods for a night.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Brill. Looks like yous had a great time. I,m still trying to convince my 10yr old son of the joys of smelling of woodsmoke,getting eaten alive by midges and sleeping in the dirt.
Great pics sean thanks for sharing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE