A new Snow Brush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snow-Brush-Flip-Side.jpg

One unassuming but essential item I usually carry in a cold environment, is a snow brush. Used for scrubbing off accumulated snow on the outer clothing layers, particularly before moving to a warmer environment where it would melt and saturate the clothing.

I have usually used a simple plastic dish washing brush for the purpose but have had my eye open for a nicer solution.

Eventually, at the Jokkmokk Winter Market I found what I was looking for. It was undecorated of course but a little time today spent doing some kolrosing and it is something finally worth it’s weight.

Life is too short for ugly kit.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's elegant. The kolrosing pattern at the head-end of the handle is different. I'll say 2 brushes.
The work is so consistent and patterned, something I have an awful time controlling.

Here, it's an act of desperation just to find something to clean off the vehicles.
I have a 21" shop floor sweeping brush that's adequate for my GMC Suburban.
There are 4 different snow brushes floating around in the back, they can live there until next winter
when they undergo the annual migration to the front seat.

Cold air is very dry air. I don't care how much snow you track into my house.
It melts and dries up, just adding humidity to my house air.
I guess that's not a problem for you UK people.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's not so much about keeping the snow out of the house. If I was working out of a building that wouldn't bother me much either.

The problem is keeping the clothing system dry so that the insulation value is not compromised.

Water is a conductor of heat so if your clothing is damp, either from perspiration or melted snow, it becomes much less efficient at insulating you from the cold. The effect is very obvious in the case of immersion due to falling through ice for example but much more subtle and insidious if the dampness builds up slowly over time.

This is the reason it is just as important not to dress too warmly and generate perspiration which will chill you when your activity reduces.

If you are working out of a building then you have the opportunity to dry clothing in between periods working outside. Although less efficient, the same can be achieved in a heated tent as well.

However, if you are cold camping, working without a heated tent, as I usually do, such a build up of moisture in the clothing system is more difficult to deal with and it becomes very important to avoid snow melting on your clothing when you are near to a fire or enter someone else's heated tent for example.

A snow brush is probably as important a peice of my equipment as a warm hat.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE