Best way to clean a pair of Lowa elite desert boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Bought a pair of used but in decent con.. Lowa elite desert boots for the summer.

Can any one give me any tips on the best way to clean them.. they are not really marked up or dirty.. just quite dusty.

I was just gonna fill a dish with warm water and a squirt or washing up liquid and scrub them with a nylon scrubbing brush.. then rinse em with fresh water. stuff em with newspaper.. leave em to dry outside.

Do you think this will be ok.. it won't damage the swede.

any tips or advise.. welcome :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think you've answered your own question; I did exactly that with a pair of Desert Fox boots, very little soap and thorough rinsing; but instead of stuffing them with paper I went for a long walk in them when they were still very damp as otherwise I think they'd shrink down a bit. Mine fit me like a glove after that treatment, about three years ago, and they're still amongst the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I think you've answered your own question; I did exactly that with a pair of Desert Fox boots, very little soap and thorough rinsing; but instead of stuffing them with paper I went for a long walk in them when they were still very damp as otherwise I think they'd shrink down a bit. Mine fit me like a glove after that treatment, about three years ago, and they're still amongst the most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

Yep.. cheers mate.

I was thinking they might shrink.. after washing em. But great idea wearing em while they drying.

Thanks for that mate :)

rancid badger

I'd avoid washing up liquid and go for a simple unscented hand washing soap. Use a sponge to apply soapy water onto the boots, maybe tackling dirty bits with a nail brush, then rinse off with clean water. Do not use hot water or you will potentially ruin any suede.

Allow the boots to air dry after toweling off as much water as possible, then once dry, just doof up the suede bits with a brass suede brush. you could always add a seeing to with scotchguard or similar water repellent spray to finish off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE