A new Leatherworker, help needed on tool list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
nice stamps bud. i recently started trawling through the U.S ebay for tools as they have such a wider selection over there. its cheaper for me to buy from american ebay with postage than it is to buy them in the uk. not sure how that relates to you in the netherlands though

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey Sonni,

Actually the forged blade I had from the Moot was only made possible by Dave, it is however a real Ruud van Tiel, as I was the one doing the smithing
and sadly I haven't got around to it though I did made some trail pieces for the Handle Idea I had going, it was a laminate of 7 veneers which crosscuts a piece of mahogany, ranging from Maple, Beech,Cherry, Walnut,Cherry,Beech back to Maple again, I turned a trail piece on a lathe which will later accommodate a fire steel will post those pictures soon.

And Hamish,

Thanks for sharing that with me, as perhaps I might also get them cheaper that way, is there a certain vendor you mainly use to avoid triple pp costs?
Yours sincerely ruud

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i dont use any particular vendor but its good checking on there every now and then to grab a bargain. but with your woodworking skills those stamps are pretty unique you should make some more and see how they compare to metal stamps

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looking good Ruud!
I carved my makers stamp from Boxwood (off cuts from a carving project) but for the rest I rely on some I picked up from a retiring leatherworker ... some of those were home made from nails :) others were the kind of thing Tandy sell.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yup....tis true....but watch out for customs tax....a lot of u.s. sellers refuse to put ''gift'' on the customs label....fair enough i guess from a legal point of view.....but from a moral one???? i bought a bunch of stamps from u.s seller a while ago....the customs bill i got was more than double what i paid for the items.....not happy.

a

nice stamps bud. i recently started trawling through the U.S ebay for tools as they have such a wider selection over there. its cheaper for me to buy from american ebay with postage than it is to buy them in the uk. not sure how that relates to you in the netherlands though

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Dear Lee,

In what way do the custom stamps differ from the stock type stamps,
Shape wise of course, or is it just that you will have more stamps, being more specific for certain application within your design?

Dear Emdiesse

Yeah Indeed I have seen that thread before, yet the technique I use Is just a bit different.
I instead of using a couple of nails, I use hard seasoned beech, from which I route out the main shape and then finish the stamp by hand with a small carving knife
I'll get some pictures of my stamps up soon, it takes me about 2 hours to make a complex initial stamp, and soon I also will have access to a CNC operated routing machine.

Thanks for the tips and help
Yours sincerely Ruud
the difference in the custom stamps is the detail mate, they are much more crisp, you do not have to tool so hard, if that makes sense, and the overall look is just better, you dont need to have all you stamps custom made, but if you go down the rout of sheridan style carving, they will benefit you a lot bud, for you normal stamps, the normal ones are fine, but to achieve that look that you put up, the crisper stamps will help no end.
hope that helps a little.
take care.
lee.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey Lee,

Lets me see if I got this right.
The crispiness of the stamp decides how much depth there is added, and I could translate that to the sharper/ less rounded the corners are the better you can add depth into your leather. Am I getting this right?

And yes you helped out great
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE