A new knife for Bushcrafting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi Folks!

I thought it was time for a new Knife - so I decided to make a drawing and went to my knifemaker.
After we bespoke my preferes he began with the work on the knife......

technical details:
Steel: Böhler N690 (stainless)
type: fulltang
bladethickness: 3mm (1/8")
blade length: 3 1/8"
blade width: 1"
handle: curly birch (brown stained)
handle length: 3.35"
Pins & Lanyard hole: stainless steel
grind: full convex
hardeness: 60° RC

Special details:
The first 2/3 of the spine are rounded off, for more comfort and no blisters on the thumb!
The last 1/3 (close to the tip) is squared for striking a ferrorod!
The Lanyard is made out of 550 Paracord and a small piece of antler!

The grain on the wood turned out beautifully and after the brown staining it was awesome.........But have a look:

I think a small knife will just do all jobs fine in bushcrafting and there is no necessary for a big knife except personal preference - but thats just my opinion.
If you know how you have to handle a knife and how you can do the job easier you have won. The good thing about this is that you can easy learn this by practising a few techniques.
After you learn all those techniques you will see that a small knife can do the same job in the same time or faster (because of easy handling) :cool:
That´s what I´ve found out - so here is my new knife...............

Here is one pic with flashlight :)

The sheath I made myself! It´s made out of 3mm vegedtanned leather and has a nice light brown color. It´s hot waxed and for Neckcarry designed.

Sry for the indoorpics only - but I hope to make some outdoor pictures this weekend to show you how the knife performs in the woods!

It would be nice if you can leave a comment how you like the knife (also if you don´t like it).........

Thanks for watching and have a great time
Mike

Last edited:

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Thats nice work! The choice of wood is superb and I really like the profile and grind but...& this is purely from a personal view I find that even on a very small blade I prefer a ful size handle as its less tiring and safer when hands are cold or wet. Your hands are less likely to cramp during repetitive tasks as well.
Nice wee knife though!

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
WOW - Thanks guys for all these kind words!
I´m glad you like it........

Yes the handle is very very comfy (this was a great aspect for me in designing - the rounded pommel makes the difference :D ).

All the best
Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE