A new design - necker.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi folks.

I've been playing in the workshop again. Its a new design though its more a smaller version of the SPB-1 that i do. I wanted a knife that fit in between the small carvers and neckers i do and my normal bushys.

It's intention was to be one fo those little knives that is handy for anything. It can be belt carried, neck or pocket carried ( or will be when i make the sheaths for them :)) Its also a perfect size for smaller hands, and would IMO make an excellent knife for scouts or any children who have been taught proper knife safety and are comfortable with their use. I know there are a lot of members who's children go out bushcrafting with them, yet there are no knives aimed at such up and comers. Now there are :)

I've made 2 knives and 2 blades which i will be putting up for sale later when the sheaths are finished for them. If anyone wants one, just drop me a PM.

Here are the 2 knives,

The first is in 3mm 01 tool steel with jigged camel bone handle, black liners and brass fittings

The second is in 2.5mm 12C27 stainless, with eucalyptus burl, black liners and brass fittings.

Opinions welcome chaps, good or bad :)
These are not on my site yet, i need to update it with these and the hunter model i made recently

Atb,
Mark
P1020259.jpg

P1020258.jpg

P1020261.jpg

P1020262.jpg

P1020264.jpg

P1020263.jpg

P1020260.jpg

P1020265.jpg

P1020270.jpg

P1020272.jpg

Last edited:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
That looks like the sort of knife that you'd reach for automatically in preference to any other that you might have with you. What sort of price, Mark?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cheers guys :)

Juttle - The 01/camel bone will be £100. The 12C27/eucalyptus will we £115 The blades will be £45/£50 respectively :)

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Nice work there Mark, I've been pondering a similar straight forward design that is not too small and not too big and importantly one that is quicker to make (thus cheaper) with less tight curves etc, an hour or so later I'd made an mdf template I was happy with and retired to bed, a quick look at the forums today before cutting out my new "Ranger" and there it practically is looking splendid in jigged bone already:p

Back to the drawing board then:cool:

They both look great and should do well, have you gone for a full size handle to progress into for the younger folk or brought it down a bit for the smaller hand?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cheers Toby :)

Erm....sorry about that mate :D I've had the template made for this for months, just not had time to devote to it. Its only a smaller version of the SPB -1 i already do.

The handle is just under 4". compare to just under 5" that i normally do. Its actually comfortable in my big hands, so would work well for most people, but is small enough so its easy to handle for youngsters or those with small hands.

Any chance of a pic of the template you made? I'd like to see just how close they are :)

Nice work there Mark, I've been pondering a similar straight forward design that is not too small and not too big and importantly one that is quicker to make (thus cheaper) with less tight curves etc, an hour or so later I'd made an mdf template I was happy with and retired to bed, a quick look at the forums today before cutting out my new "Ranger" and there it practically is looking splendid in jigged bone already:p

Back to the drawing board then:cool:

They both look great and should do well, have you gone for a full size handle to progress into for the younger folk or brought it down a bit for the smaller hand?

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Its raining hard enough to float the ark out here but yes will post a pic, they are V similar except mine does not have the thumb ramp, mine as they always are is one curve from pommel to drop point and the handle stops shorter than yours finishing 3/4 down the curve to the ricasso, also I think to accommadate my fishtail V butt pommel the handle would be a bit longer, heck, I'm thinking theres enough between the two now I've written about it that I might just make one anyway:pirate:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Go for it :)

Its raining hard enough to float the ark out here but yes will post a pic, they are V similar except mine does not have the thumb ramp, mine as they always are is one curve from pommel to drop point and the handle stops shorter than yours finishing 3/4 down the curve to the ricasso, also I think to accommadate my fishtail V butt pommel the handle would be a bit longer, heck, I'm thinking theres enough between the two now I've written about it that I might just make one anyway:pirate:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
There is a Hill-sized gap in my knife box now. Those look lovely Mark.
I wonder if I have been a good lad this year : alas probably not... Again!
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE