Trip Report A much needed injection.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I haven't contributed much to the forums for a while. This is because my wife had to undergo emergency surgery on her aeorta. Things have been topsy-turvy for a few months......

Anyways, with things now looking up i needed a walk by myself. So off i went into the forest for a wander. No 'must do' things, I just packed my hip pack and off i went. Strolling along at a rather leisurely pace, I was glad of the hip pack as it was touching 20 degrees. The sheltered forest drives had become heat traps and I started to perspire. I just walked for over an hour, taking the odd sip out of my water bottle as I went.

Pocket contents:

3fe30dc26c3a604387c05f46d8759708.jpg

After a while i stepped off the public path i was on and found a place to sit, just 20 yards into the trees. For a fair while I just sat in the shade of a sweet chestnut tree, watching the slight breeze move the tree tops. After a little while I started to notice tiny birds flit between the branches, insects moving about in the leaf litter..... I relaxed and breathed it all in. Time for a cuppa.....

0bb5c23583bc78e0271e0c17af588224.jpg

While the water got to boiling I collected a pine root. I find the young roots best, about 5mm thick and pink coloured like an empty earthworm....

dfa972cec98386ef2f92894138c958f0.jpg

When they're in this condition you can peel the outer bark with your finger nails.

bed01e6089f05ee40d49b8be01b9186c.jpg

With the bark stripped I sat down on my Swazi Tahr and slowly sipped my tea. Twas a nice cuppa as well, lemon. (I didn't know before I drank it as I found the tea bag astray in the pantry!) Just towards the end of the cup I noticed this tiny fella on the lip. I watched him for about 5 minutes before I returned him to the forest.

7eb318723a2f43e822906d8b07055ee3.jpg

I split the root by pulling it gently from the thick end over the blade of my carving knife.

82780c0212ae2c80b2b3b5620d1de8bd.jpg

I wandered what to do with my split root. I first attempted a 4 strand plait. I'm ham fisted. It didn't work. So I tried a 3 strand plait. This worked out ok and half way through I decided to make a bracelet for my daughter. She likes this kind of thing.

The end result, rustic wouldn't you say!?

fd97d952cccc41185c3addb3de65312b.jpg

Once that was done I sat down and rested for a bit. A sip of water. I spied a dead standing pine. Feather sticks it is then....

I think they look beautiful. A real craft. I took my time. My hand ached. But the end result was this.

1e199a18bc8066650c0ad77e6dc52df4.jpg

I lit it with my ferro rod. Fire! I always try to get a self sustaining fire when I practice a method. But I put it out quickly as I didn't need the flames. I still get excited when I light a fire without a lighter or matches...

3c08487fa9f5242d06f63dcb19b21f06.jpg

I looked at my watch. I'd been under that sweet chestnut for 5 hours. What a quench for my soul. Back home now. Good night.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I hope your wife recovers quickly and fully!

I used to do similar 'healing' short trips, but I only carried a knife, a pack of cigarettes, a lighter and (if it was hot) a can of low alcohol beer.
:)

Reactions: Van-Wild

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You picked the right tree too. It is used in bach flower remedies for those who have reached close to a limit of endurance and is very healing for those feeling close to limits either physical or mental or emotional. It must have been extremely stressful the past few weeks. I'm sure everyone sends you their thoughts and support and wishes a speedy recovery for your wife .

Ettrick reiver

Jan 7, 2017
Scotland
Just the tonic after being confined to an office environment for the day. Thanks for sharing, excellent taste in knives by the way.
Hope your missus is doing well.
Best
Ettrick reiver

Reactions: Van-Wild

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
You picked the right tree too. It is used in bach flower remedies for those who have reached close to a limit of endurance and is very healing for those feeling close to limits either physical or mental or emotional. It must have been extremely stressful the past few weeks. I'm sure everyone sends you their thoughts and support and wishes a speedy recovery for your wife .

Sweet chestnut or pine (tea)?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE