A modern Good Life?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was reading this earlier, it's a great article, these things never really go into the How they manage financially but the principles are great and it's probably a good dream for many of us and some will even do it :D

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have just read it. It didnt really go into where they park up. You can certainly go woofing with your own van, exchange a park up for a few days work. Good on them, simplifying priorities and living how they wish. There is more to life than the pursuit of money.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was reading this earlier, it's a great article, these things never really go into the How they manage financially but the principles are great and it's probably a good dream for many of us and some will even do it :D

The big thing we found Tone was to minimise our debt. No mortgage, no car loans or credit cards, no luxury outgoings like premium TV etc. If you then gather wood for eating, grow a lot of fruit and veg, raise a fe chooks and brew your own booze, it doesn't cost a lot to live. You do need some money which may mean some contracting etc. But it doesn't need to be much if you have no mortgage or heat bills and minimal food bill.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Jeez load of middle class rubbish the length of the article is a give away I know loads of people who live an alternative lifestyle You know its failing when you have too write for the media

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
I bought their book 100 family adventures. It's got some good inspiration but is a bit light in detail. The basic message is good though- make the most of time together as a family by spending that time outdoors. I was inspired anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
This is something that I should imagine we would all love to do is get out of the 'rat race' but the problem is having the guts to just give up everything, the problem is the trappings of life, house, mortgage or renting? car you name it, its all there and for some not all find it hard to give up all those things! personally I would find it hard to just pack it all in and sell everything and live in a caravan.....but in saying that there are a couple of members in my family that have done the very same thing just drifting around the country and we never know where they are from one week to the next! but if they are happy in what they are doing then I say go for it!! I wish them all the very best for the future.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
I was wondering how they got over the legal requirement to educate their kids and then read that they were both teachers and went "ahh :p" So that's one advantage the majority of us don't have. Gave up reading after that

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Need to own your house to sell at profit to pay for your play time,
need to be able to teach your children to a standard where they can be employed ( being a hippie in the year 2025 is not a job)
needs to be be ongoing, not just a year long game.
Otherwise it just middle class play acting

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was wondering how they got over the legal requirement to educate their kids and then read that they were both teachers and went "ahh :p" So that's one advantage the majority of us don't have. Gave up reading after that

Plenty of people who are not qualified formally home school children.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE