A military style backpack with a hip belt for tall people?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
Hi i was wondering if any of you guys could tell me of a military type pack around the £100 range (although if i find something i really like i would happily spend more) that would fit a 6' 6" tall person (back length 22~23")

Im hoping to find one with molle (or similar) around the 40-60 litre size range as i quite like the idea of having a modular pack that i can add and remove things to.

Only problem ive been having is finding a pack with a hip belt (rather than the stomach belts on most military packs ie. snugpak rocketpacks) and finding a pack without a flat foam back but rather one with air channels.

has anyone tried the Tasmanian Tiger Raid MKII pack? im leaning towards something like that although they are really expensive!

if anyone can help point me in the right direction that would be great!

-P

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Have you tried a Lowe Alpine Sting for size?

I'm 6'2", so a good four inches shorter than yourself, but the Sting fits me in the same way as a Size 4 Berghaus Vulcan. A bit of a weird comparison, I know, but it may give you something to think about.....

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
Have you tried a Lowe Alpine Sting for size?

I'm 6'2", so a good four inches shorter than yourself, but the Sting fits me in the same way as a Size 4 Berghaus Vulcan. A bit of a weird comparison, I know, but it may give you something to think about.....

Hi Silverhill, thanks for the reply.

The LA Sting is exactly what i am after however it seems to only come in a 20" back size from what i can read online? The vulcan size 4 has a 21.2" back according to berghaus. i wish i could try it myself but nowhere local seems to stock it!

looking at yours do you think there is a way i could add an extra strip to the adjustable back to increase its size?

-P

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi Silverhill, thanks for the reply.

The LA Sting is exactly what i am after however it seems to only come in a 20" back size from what i can read online? The vulcan size 4 has a 21.2" back according to berghaus. i wish i could try it myself but nowhere local seems to stock it!

looking at yours do you think there is a way i could add an extra strip to the adjustable back to increase its size?

-P

I reckon it's physically possible, as the pockets which hold the length adjuster in position are merely loops of fabric, with the band attached to the adjuster threaded back to a buckle at the base of the pack which is then covered by a flap of padded material.

I wouldn't fancy sewing it myself though:yikes:. Maybe you could ask the firm that do the rucksack mods for RVOps to do something for you if you're feeling flush (a quick search also revealed this website http://www.lsr.gb.com/rucksack_repairs.htm although I have no experience of them).

You cant put a price on correctly fitted gear!!

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
The Salient has a max backlenght of 22" (but has 10 litres less volumen than the sting). My friend who is 2m (6'5" ??) carries it and he likes the comfort.
The Saracen (also from LA) is 10l larger than the sting and I am sure it also has backlenght of 22" (I remember it from my time in the swiss air force).
So with these two packs I am sure you would be fine.

Pacman99uk

Mar 9, 2011
Manchester
Thanks for all your suggestions!

The salient seems to be 70+20 litres? i think its a little big for what i have in mind unless they do a smaller version of it?

The saracen seems to be 40l for the main body? i would definately order one of those but i cant seem to find stock, man they are rare!

any other suggestions?

thanks,

-P

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
You really need to try something on to ensure it fits correctly.

The Sting will be too short in the back for you IMHO. I'm 6'3" in I had it on the last adjuster.

Perhaps consider getting someone like Aguille Alpine to make you a tailored pack. Although you'll blow your budget...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm 6'5" and have it on the last adjuster aswell. No probs in carrying. Talking about blowing your budget: Kifaru do packs with long backsizes (depending on the model 20-23" IIRC) - mind you, it'll be addictive. ;)

2M, 6'7".

My Kifaru packs fit me perfectly because they make them specifically to my measurements.

Yes, I know, waaaahhhh, they’re expensive. Suck it up. It’s the burden talls face. We have to pay more for beds, clothes, cars, sleeping bags, etc. If you want a pack that will fit you properly, Kifaru fits the bill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE