A little jute string weaving project (pot/basket)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy :D and good practice of a useful skill too :cool:

I got so bored once that I made a basket out of linen thread. I jest you not. Fiona picked it up, looked at it, looked at me and said, "I do not believe you did that ! ". I only did it once :rolleyes: then she nicked it for display :/

Jute string is good stuff to play around with. Nets, small baskets like that (try using it to ply around strips of birch bark or big grass leaves to make berry baskets), knotted slings, fingerwoven tumplines, etc., Tony (Asemery) has loads of tutorials on things like string collecting bags and the like too.

Needles like those are just brilliant tools :D

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've never been satisfied with the numerous bags and containers I've used to house my woodgas stove/brew kit, but you've just lit my fire with this post! Something like a large version of what you've made, with a lid to fit on a string hinge? Perfect for the job! shock absorbent to some extent,
noise damping, lightweight and cleanable.................

If my hands ever heal up from my recent surgery I'll be learning this one............Great stuff!

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Thanks for all the comments folks.

Once you get started it's quite easy. The tutorial is nice and clear.

I think if it was going to be bigger for the woodgas stove I'd maybe add more cords at the base and make 20 or 24 (2 bunches of 5 or 6) and that would keep the weave a bit tighter around the sides once they are heading upwards.

Thanks again.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I like that, and its easy to soure materials as well .. good one will have to ahve a go at one of them :) thank you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE