A little help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Infrared

Apr 6, 2012
Swansea
Evening all,
First post so go gentle on me!
I've just got back from a spot of camping with the kids. Late last night, while we were fishing I dropped my Helle Harding knife and sheath in the sea. It was quite rough and around knee deep so though that was the end of that.
Got up at 5:30 and worked my way through the rocks where unbelievably I found my knife.
Apart from buying a lottery ticket what do I need to do to stop any salt water damage?
Thanks in advance

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As it has been in the sea (or at least exposed to it for for a reasonable part of that time) over night, anything you do will be damage limitation.
Wash them both in clean water and dry the best you can - slowly for the sheath and watch for any salt stains appearing on the leather - there won't be a huge amount that you'll be able to do about them and if salt has got into the wood of the handle they might distort on drying - again not a huge amount you can do other than replace them if it becomes too bad.

If the knife remains usable after its adventure, it'll be part of its life with you so don't necessarily try to eliminate all traces of it from its history.

Welcome aboard, why not take a while to introduce yourself in the "Intro" section.

ATB

Ogri the trog

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Helle Harding? the people who make sailing gear? i would have thought the knife might be constructed of reasonably sea proof materials eg stainless etc.? so maybe not too much harm done?

Infrared

Apr 6, 2012
Swansea
Me too, got to say thanks to Nick at Heinne too, rang them in desperation yesterday before I had the brainwave that brought me here.
He had left when I rang, but to his credit rang me back at 9am sharp with plenty of tips!

Infrared

Apr 6, 2012
Swansea
Yes, fair play to my 11 yr old daughter, she marked a spot on the shore where we first noticed it was missing and pointed out some 'land marks'. Returned at low water and used the reference points she'd pointed out and within 5 minutes I found it, soggy but not too much worse for wear, couple of marks on the sheath and some of the dye from the sheath leached into the curly birch. They'll be a reminder of the trip and the basis of a story around the fire. No doubt it will get exagerated proportionate to the amount of alcohol consumed ( by me not my daughter)

Many thanks to all for the advice and welcome.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Yes, fair play to my 11 yr old daughter, she marked a spot on the shore where we first noticed it was missing and pointed out some 'land marks'. Returned at low water and used the reference points she'd pointed out and within 5 minutes I found it, soggy but not too much worse for wear, couple of marks on the sheath and some of the dye from the sheath leached into the curly birch. They'll be a reminder of the trip and the basis of a story around the fire. No doubt it will get exagerated proportionate to the amount of alcohol consumed ( by me not my daughter)

Many thanks to all for the advice and welcome.

Your daughter sounds pretty sharp and savvy; well done her as you say.

Infrared

Apr 6, 2012
Swansea
I'd like to think she gets her savvy from me, along with her good looks! But seeing as I was stupid enough to drop the bloody thing I guess it must be from her mother, either way, extra pocket money this week!

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Salt water, wash in fresh water then allow to dry and just accept what you are left with as nature got at it. But leather and wood oil it, rust scour off and apply oil, but very lucky you found it and kudos to your daughter.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sounds good that you found it with your daughter's help, family work is good.

Seeing how you came here for advice, perhaps it would be just, if you were to offer the advice you received from your phone call. This way your already contributing to your new found extended family. Just a thought ;)
Welcome to the hearth
Chis

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Infrared

Apr 6, 2012
Swansea
Of course a bit amiss of me not to mention earlier, Nick from Heinne's tips mostly echoed those posted here, the use of a good gun oil, 'Balistoil' was one brand mentioned. He was of the opinion that the wood in the knife handle would be sufficiently seasoned to have suffered from a minimum of salt water intrusion in the time it was immersed. (still going with the fresh water bathing though)
Let the knife and sheath dry slowly and naturally, using a leather oil on the sheath whilst its still wet to prevent it cracking later.
The one piece of advice that I hadnt thought of and that makes sense is that there is no way of knowing what the inside of the handle and tang are in so to keep the point of the knife raised and regularly apply W40 or similar down the blade so it can soak along the tang.
I'm sure that more learned members here may have more experience in knife making and maintenance than the fella I spoke to and I'm extreemly grateful for the help Ive received but I must say I'm delighted that Heinne have tried to help rather than sell me a new knife.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE