A limited kit night out in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all,i went out on Tuesday for a night in the woods and rather than taking the hammock,tarp set up,i decided to just take a blanket,billie and a knife. I started by building a lean-to shelter using branches that were lying around,once the shelter was built and covered with debris i made my bed up,i put 2 logs along the front to keep my bedding from spreading under me whilst i slept,the bedding consisted of small branches topped off with dry dead grass,turning it into a posture sprung mattress.

shelter.JPG

shelter1.JPG

Once that was done it was time to collect some water from the burn that was no to far from camp,after filling up the billie with water i went for a wander to forage some edibiles,its still pretty spartan up here as Spring is not quite in full swing, anyway i managed to find some sprouting Ramsons,luckily the rain had washed away the leaf litter exposing the shoots, so i gathered a handful to feed myself,next on my list was some Pine needles to make some tea, i found a wind fallen branch of Scots Pine to which there was some cones still attached,i gathered a twig for the needles and a few cones to experiment with.

ramsons1.JPG

When back at camp i collected enough fire wood to keep me going all night as it was an open fronted shelter,the temp did drop down to -4 to -6 during the night. I collected some more dry grass and some shedding Birch bark for a tinder bundle and then started a fire using the bowdrill,once the fire was going i boiled up the water to purify it,as the water came up to the boil i put the Ramsons into the ashes to bake slowly,then chopped up the Pine needles ready to make tea. The cones were popped next to the fire to make them open up,once they opened up i started to pick out the tiny little seeds and i mean tiny.The Ramsons were soon ready,and washed down with the Pine tea,Lovely.
As darkness fell i re-arranged the fire into a long log fire,climbed into the shelter pulled the blanket over me and fell asleep,i did wake a couple of times during the night to build up the fire as the cold woke me telling me the fire needed stoking.

All in all it was a great night listening to the Owls,Foxes calling and Roe deer barking.
Oh i did say the Pine cones were a bit of an experiment,i found that Scot pine cones are not really worth collecting for food as the seeds are tiny. Oh well every day is a learning day:rolleyes: .

Well thanks for reading :)

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Fantastic you went into the woods with minimal kit and fulfilled your shelter and food needs from what the woodland around you provided. The essence of bushcraft. It warms my heart to see a post like this as opposed to the nomal tiresome discussions about what kit to buy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The real bushcraft experience!
And I agree Scots Pine seeds are fidly!
Does anyone know if they give you more calories than you burn harvesting the little beggars?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
... to the nomal tiresome discussions about what kit to buy.

Nice to see someone getting really back to the basics, just like we've all seen RM do on the TV...

...I'm sure most of us would like to do that and will jump at the chance to do so if we ever get the opportunity, but many of us live in areas where we aren't permitted to do such things, so discussions about kit that we can use legally are still quite relevant.

Geoff

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks for the kind comments folks.:)

The real bushcraft experience!
And I agree Scots Pine seeds are fidly!
Does anyone know if they give you more calories than you burn harvesting the little beggars?

Hi John this is about as much info i could fined regarding pine nuts,i know its not what you wanted but it might shed some light :dunno:
http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ftmar04.htm there is a chart half way down the page.

Cheers Stuart

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Really good post that,shows to any one new to bushcraft that you dont have to spend loads to be able to get out there and have a good time.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Fantastic stuff Stuart,
Nice to see you have been keeping busy, bet you weren't popular with your wife when you went home after all that garlic.

Hi Scott, Yeah the wife said she could smell a mixture of wood smoke and garlic as soon as i opened the front door :yuck: Now i know why the vampires left me well alone that night
:D

Just curious, what did you use as cordage for the bow drill?

Hi Fishy1,i just used a boot lace as cordage for my bowdrill. I did contemplate making a natural bow string but the Willow bark is still stuck fast in my local wood, i will just have to wait until the sap starts to rise to harvest some.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE