A limited kit night out in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
OK, just when I tried with natural fibres in a bow drill, they couldn't take the friction. Of course, you could make better fibres with more time.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Good post. I love pine needle tea. Dunno about the Ramsons though.. I'd have hated to smell your breath after that little lot :D Nice small shelter and comfy bedding, great to see propper bushcraft, very refreshing

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Great Stuff. I'd love to have the bottle and confidence in my skills to do that. Actually first I'd like to have the skills and work up from there. Hats off to you!

Cheers, Nag.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
This brings to mind a Friday evening when my lads were younger, our local Cub leader took the boys for a hike and camp, three parents went along as helpers. Unfortunately we departed late and had a 3 mile hike ahead of us, no great distance but the average age of the kids would have been about 12 and we arrived at the camp site after dark.

The boys made groups of two and the first job was constructing shelters in the dark, well we didn't lose any and eventually we had sufficient shelter for the night, I cheated and took along a poncho. The boys enjoyed a light supper and were soon off to bed, not long after a light shower began and continued intermittently throughout the night.

Early next morning we had a post-mortem, the shelters had been sufficient to keep them dry and only a couple complained of being cold. Due to the late departure breakfast provisions had been left at the Cub house, on arrival there was a hearty breakfast for all.

What came out of this was that these lads from very different backgrounds and limited outdoors experience were able to have a comfortable night in the great outdoors with little preparation and virtually no equipment.

Upon experiences like this can be built confidence and a belief that they can overcome many of the trials that life will through at them by meeting it head on and dealing with each episode as it arises.

Thank you Stuart for reminding me of that and how little we need to be comfortable but how important those things are.

Pothunter.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I did the blanket only thing when I was a youth, and had quite a comfy night. In fact, my first night out under the stars was just that, no tarp above me and I saw my first foxes ever the next morning. It was a pretty awesome experience that I still remember vividly, so it must have had a huge impression on me. Last year i slept with a blanket only but without a fire and it was tough going!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE