A leather cut throat razor sheath!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo!

I was in need of a decent sheath or case of some kind to protect my razor as the box and plastic slip were both crap! :rolleyes:

I had a dig around after stropping my razor from a shave yesterday while teaching someone how to use one properly. I wanted to add a better rotating clip on my multi strop and while in my box of bits I found my rolls of scrap leather..

I got thinking and pulled out my kit, a pen and some paper to sketch a quick sheath slip design.

The pictures show the rest, from cut out sketch, pegging.. awl hole making, sewn together and sat snugly inside! :)

I stitched both ways as I cut alot of sinew and figured it'll hold tighter and better that way. Obviously I'm no master leather worker, but merely a maker of things I need. ;)

I cleaned up the edges with a utility knife and I'm considering making a vinegaroon solution tomorrow and possbiley dyeing it that ebony grey colour.

Anyway, that was it. Took an hour or so, I don't do this stuff often so it took longer as I am a sloppy planner lol.

Thanks for looking!

(The razor is a Gold dollar 66, professionally honed! The Gold dollar razors are the equivalent of Mora knives, totally capable but cheap as chips.)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks guys!

The real deal shave is a good bit of fun, scary to start with but you soon get the hang of it and it does become very ritualistic and indulgent.

I had intentions originally to turn the sheath inside out and have the hide side on show, but it was a swine to do and I actually like the suede side better now. :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice going Samon, good job.
"The most trusted man in the kingdom is the kings barber, for every day he holds a keen blade to that precious throat."
Nothing quite like a cut-throat shave.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Nice work!

I have been thinking about getting a cut-troat for some time, but the missus won't let me. Is she right in her fears; will I harm myself badly?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nice work!

I have been thinking about getting a cut-troat for some time, but the missus won't let me. Is she right in her fears; will I harm myself badly?

Unless you have the motor skills of a drunk I would say you will be fine. Just make sure you buy a real razor, and not a cheap mass produced thing as they will likely not be able to be honed. My razor in that picture is the cheapest, best value for money razor you can buy. Gold Dollar make a variety of them, but the 66 is about £10 or less new! They need a professional hone though, as they do not come shave ready but do have high quality carbon steel.

I would say, go on ebay, but an old German or Sheffield made one in good condition and get it honed professionally. Then you've got your base razor and all you need is a strop to maintain it for the first couple of weeks/months while you read and learn more about the advanced maintenance and all the fancy guff.

On my first ever traditional shave I did my face with and against the grain and my head with and against the grain.. with only one fixed mirror! I'm used to shaving by 'feel' so it was just a matter of going gentle and not pushing the blade into my skin, but rather start low angle and raise to the desired angle to start cutting. Usually about 30 degrees, depending on who you ask!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It does take a bit of practice, both in setting up the blade and learning to use it. I have a faint scar from where I got distracted shaving with one years ago. It's a very neat scar though due to the sharpness of the blade.
Do you have a Turkish barber near.you? If so treat yourself to the works and see if you like the outcome. I like my beard but got myself done in Turkey years ago and it's pretty darn good. But Turkish barbers are making headway here in the UK.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
Nice work!

Take it slow and make sure as has already been said get a properly 'honed' razor. I bought one recently from an online site who said that all their blades where honed unfortunately this wasn't to be the case. If might be worth getting on the forums and buying from an enthusiast who has a good rep for honing, they are out there.
Don't expect to get it right first time it will take time but when you get the hang of it, it can be "Zen' like ;-) You need to stay focused though or there could be trouble.

I have found that the prep is important too. I have a much better shave when I use a pre shave oil or cream followed by a quality shaving cream and brush after a hot towel or shower. (Don't shave in the shower, or with wet hands or naked you could regret it!)

If your not buying a vintage razor and something new like a Boker I wouldn't go under £100.

If you get into it be careful as straight razors can be collectable!! ;-)

R

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Although a more expensive and reputably branded razor will be nicer, it does not mean you cannot get a great shave with a decent budget razor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhthCXy_DQ

That's a razor by GD in action with an experienced user. Obviously if you browse the net you'll find all sorts of reports, mainly the snobbery and dismissal of anything but X sort of razors. But amongst that, you get people who have actually used them, and can compare them to entry level Dovo razors..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE