A kuksa in hawthorn. Update- Finished.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Today I worked on another kuksa. I am quite happy with the outcome this far. I`ll leave it to dry and will do the finishing cuts on it in a few days from now. Any comment is welcome :)

2013-09-08+22.02.23.jpg

2013-09-08+21.59.28.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

- Update -

Here it is, freshly oiled and ready to contain my drinks.

P9110579-X.jpg

Thanks for looking! :) For the interested, there are more pictures on my blog.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It's looking good :). Are you going to stain or oil the wood to bring out the grain a bit more when your done?

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks guys.
It's looking good :). Are you going to stain or oil the wood to bring out the grain a bit more when your done?
Yes, I will oil it with walnut-oil once it is dry. It`ll need some weeks to dry out slow enough to not crack first though.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
It is indeed quite a tough wood, but it carves nice and clean. The wood i used was very green. I woulnt want to try the same bit two weeks from now. That would be a tough chore.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Nice work there Two Socks, recently carved a tea spoon out of Hawthorn but a Kuksa thats something else. I would say keep an eye on it while it dries as Kuksa'a love to crack and split, can't wait to see it finished.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
...Kuksa'a love to crack and split...
I`m having my fingers crossed for that not to happen. I have been told by someone that hawthorn itself likes to split as well, but I just carve whatever I can get here. My hope lies in very very slow drying in a half-open bag full of woodshavings.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Looks great.

My latest kuksa was boiled in salt water. Allegedly drives out the sap and makes it dry quicker without cracking!

However it went mouldy in a week!

Re-boiled in vinegar solution....no joy.
Re-boiled in salt water....no joy.
Sanded.....no joy.

Have had to carve off about 2mm to get nice clean wood. I've had good success with oiling the item when it's green My thoughts are that it seals it and makes drying slower.

Can't see the oil making it dry quicker.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hawthorn is a lovely, although underrated, wood; it's very durable and looks great and suits a non-sanded finish very well. That's a great-looking kuksa and I hope you enjoy it!..................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE