A Knife for BCUK members?

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
This was mentioned in Red's new knife thread. Anybody got any ideas? Stuart and Red have been thinking about a design. Any of you guys have an idea for the design? I've been drawning for a while, but how do you convert a drawing on paper to one on computer?

Michiel

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
Thank goodness somebody mentioned it :lmao: . I was thinking maybe all the members could chip in with ideas, then if the knife was produced we would all feel we were part of it. It sounds very very :cool:

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
This was mentioned in Red's new knife thread. Anybody got any ideas? Stuart and Red have been thinking about a design. Any of you guys have an idea for the design? I've been drawning for a while, but how do you convert a drawing on paper to one on computer?

Michiel

Use a scanner? Or isn't that what you meant?

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I don't have a scanner, so I was thinking about something else. Some people make designs in photoshop, But I don't have that either.

I would like to see these designs. Hope he posts on this thread.

Michiel

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
michiel,

I don't think what stuart and I are thinking should be described as "The BCUK knife". In my mind at least thats something that only Tony could have produced

Perhaps better to consider it a limited edition offered exclusively to BCUK members (not unlike the uderblankets etc,). There is nothing "official" about it other than Tony has been kind enough to allow us to do it.

I hope in time a BCUK knife might well be designed (perhaps thats what Chris is working on) - this would just be an exclusive offer to BCUK members

Red

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
I don't have a scanner, so I was thinking about something else. Some people make designs in photoshop, But I don't have that either.

I would like to see these designs. Hope he posts on this thread.

Michiel

Well, if you want, you can mail it to me so that I can scan it ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
This old chestnut again, I'd love to see it come to fruition.
Considering the varieties of WL out there, perhaps a kit of parts so that each member could individualise their knife. A stamp on the blade is all that most makers/collector use to identify their knives, so handle design would be up to the individual (and reduce the amount of work by the eventual maker). Following the blade stamp, a sheath with the BCUK logo would be great too.
Its going to cause an arguement whatever design is chosen as so many folk prefer this grind above that one, and don't like to woody clones as they're too samey! Perhaps a limited edition or very limited choice would be the way to go - though price for the masses becomes an issue...

.. for heavens sake someone stop me ranting on.....

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ogri,

I think you put your finger on it with a "you can't please everyone" (or at least not with a single knife design)

I also agree there are a lot of great Woodlore variants out there - I said to Stu that I wouldn't want to do one of those - there is such a variety of choices in kit and finished form that I don't see I'd have anything to offer

The design we are looking at will be nothing like a WL - but it will be suitable for outdoor use. I personally wouldn't want to do a blade only offer - although its a good idea for those who would want one - maybe that's an idea you could work on michiel? I'm sure there's plenty of people who would make it for you.

Personally I like the idea of personalisation - I enjoyed it on my knife and I think we all like to know "this one is mine".

I think the most important thing here though is have something high quality and unusual that doesn't undermine Tony's shop or aims - something to complement whatever Tony has planned not conflict with it. Not the "BCUK knife" just an exclusive knife available only to BCUK members with skill from Stu and a little crayoning from me

Red

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'll try to take a pic later today.

How about blade blanks? Good idea / bad idea?

There's quite a few places out there that already do knife blanks at reasonable prices so BCUK members would only be saving a little by buying as a group. However one idea I had that members might like ( well after all the trying to design the shape by commitee )

I've found a company that will forge damascus blanks to own design, the caveat is a minimum order of 12. Might be worth sending them woodlore shape and getting a price quote and seeing if 12 would be likely at the price level.

http://www.damascususa.com/blanks.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE