design3.jpg

design2.jpg

design1.jpg

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Can I just put my hands up and admit that I don't know what a scandi grind is and I'm
not completely sure about the whole bevel business either.

I sort of get that a bevel is an angled edge but that's about it. Is there a schematic
somewhere on the web that explains what the different grinds and bevels look like?
Preferably a line diagram rather than a photo or drawing of a knife, so that I don't
get distracted by the shiny things.

A hollow grind would seem to take up more of the edge of the knife than a scandi
grind but really I may as well be parlez-ing en Francais at cette moment :rolleyes:

I've spent a brief few minutes over at the search facility but LOTS of threads come
up with those terms so I'm hoping there might be one already written to which one
of you kind folk might direct me.

Thank you,
Jo

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Thanks Michiel :)

So... a scandi grind is the same as a 'flat primary grind with V-grind edge bevel'
cos they look reasonably similar... I'm not sure if the slight differences in the
length of the pointy bit are crucial though.

Jo

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
No there's definatly a diference.. The scandi grind is much larger. The "sides" of the blade are straight. The bevel itself is about 5 or 6 mm high.

Hope this makes some sense.

Cheers,
Michiel

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The sides of a scandy are usually parralel Jo until the bevel begins. The one shown above called

'flat primary grind with V-grind edge bevel'

is what would often be called a "secondary bevel" or a "flat grind with secondaty bevel"

Red

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
there is a thread with a line diagram of different grinds but i cant find it at the moment as i am at work and cant see pics here!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I like the idea of a BCUK knife, especially if it could be produced in the £30-£50 region to bridge the gap between cheap and cheerful Moras and the lower end of the custom market. I've no idea if it would be feasable to produce a production run at that price, in numbers that would make it financially viable for Tony.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love the idea!
3mm - 3.5mm carbon steel 4 -4.5 inch blade
Fruitwood or yew would get my vote...but then so would most real USER designs!
jOHN

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Watching with interest on this one as I think an 'exclusive' member knife is a great idea.

In this case it appears that Red and Stuart have been kind enough to have done some work on this already and are progressing :You_Rock_ . Having seen the thread for their last knife I am 100% positive that the end result would be stunning.

I havent seen anywhere on the thread where either Stuart or Red have reqested preferences or an input as I suspect there could be a danger of 'too many cooks'.
I therefore will look forward to seeing this project progress and will more than likely place an order at the end!!

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Guys,
As an innocent bystander I am confused??? Are you designing a knife here on this thread that is going to be called a BCUK knife or is Red designing, Stuart making a knife that can be bought by BCUK members??:confused:

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
My understanding is that this would be a Red/Stuart knife which will be only available to members of BCUK - whilst Tony is aware of this it is not an 'official' BCUK knife.

As Red compared it - same principle as the group buy underblankets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE