A hidden tent village

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It seems pretty idyllic and well organised now, but some of your previous posts have shown us how the harsh winters in your part of the world can be. Let's hope they can get some kind of heated accomodation ( either in their camp or elsewhere ) before the cold weather arrives.

As an aside, a very few years ago, someone in the UK ( I think it may have been somewhere in Wales ) had been living a very ecologically friendly, simple, unnoticed life for several years in a self built, ecologically friendly, simple, unnoticed house. That is until the authorities conducted an aerial survey of the region, discovered the house and threatened to evict the occupier and demolish the house. Does anyone on here know what happened in that case?

( Sorry for hijacking your thread Brad ).

Cheers, Michael.
There were several houses...the council got rid of all but one despite a massive protest.
The one left is now used as a demo of good eco-housing by the council and the movement has lead to changes in the law!
It is just a few miles fom me....
As to Tipi valley - I know some folk who used to live there (and also on Seymores "self sufficient" farm) and the life does seem idylic - but in reality is too hard for most to take long term!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
This just brought to mind a place on the Isle of Arran - not far from where I was staying there was a large clearing next to the road - it must have had fifteen or so tents and tipis there. - quite a number of people about the place too. - I seem to recall the odd car too.

I thought it rather odd at the time but they didn't seem to be causing any trouble.

Andy

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Ah, not to far from my mate in Hampton then. Might mention it too him, he'd be interested in taking a look I think :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Would be very interesting to talk to some of those people. Really Listen to their stories. [Without the overly sentimental crap]
Like a Steinbeck modern day grapes....

BTW. Calling our present day situation a recession is perpetuating a lie. An organised debt transfer has taken place and Its plain theft.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Got a couple feet of snow yesterday, so I snowshoed back to this place to see how they were faring. Made a circuit all the way around first, saw no tracks. The camp proper looked deserted, about half of the tents were collapsed from the weight of the snow.

Back at my car, I met a fellow who said that there were at least six people living there, and probably more. The police had recently taken three of them to a homeless shelter, and the rest were hiding. One of them is a former professional boxer whom everyone is afraid of because he has some mental health issues and a crack addiction. He's supposedly been living there for eight years. Guess I'll be more careful poking around.

Last edited:

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
As to 'Tipi Valley', do you mean the place near CAT just outside Machynlleth?

Glad to hear that roundhouse survived, surprising the amount of grief and court appearances it seems to have taken however! All because someone chooses to live differently from the 'norm'. Apparently French yurt-dwellers are currently facing a similar problem, as the law there is being changed to make it easier for the police to move along Roma and they would be included as well. Quite a few protests over the whole affair.

Interesting stuff Oblio, eight years under canvas is a long time! Surprising that, if the police have raided the place, they have left the camp 'in situ'.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Was this private or public property? I know quite a few places where families have private property that they set up tents on and use as a campground all summer long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE