A hidden tent village

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Knowing I'd have about a four-hour wait while my truck was being serviced, I took along my dog and a .22 pistol, planning to spend the time squirrel hunting in the woods behind the dealership. Didn't get any squirrels (only saw one, and it was too far away - for me to pot them with a pistol, they have to almost commit suicide), but gathered some puffballs and a bolete, ate some autumn olive berries, and filled a small backpack with exceptionally large red oak acorns.

Came across a path, and followed it out of curiosity. It led to eight or ten tents scattered through a grove of white pines. No one seemed to be around, but they'd obviously been living there a long time. The ground was bare and packed hard. I was surprised by how tidy and organized it was. Food on shelves, bags for trash, dedicated latrines. Bicycles, fishing gear, tables, clotheslines, charcoal grills, kid's toys, even two easy chairs. Most of the tents had tarps over the top of them for extra protection. There was a central fire ring, with a radio in a tree nearby. They apparently drank a lot of beer, but credit where credit is due, they didn't toss the empties just anywhere. The only thing I saw that didn't impress me were a lot of shopping carts. Presumably they bring in supplies with them, and don't bother to return them.

I didn't stick around long, just snapped a couple pics and eased out of there. I might go back again, I think I'd like to meet them.

IMG_1153.jpg

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I was going to say "meth lab" but i think its more likely victims of the economy. What are the rules regarding long time camp sites in that area?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
yeah, thats a tidy setup, Ive heard of a few tent towns springing up near my brother in Portland OR, again well hidden and quite well appointed people having there houses taken so just moved into the woods, but i should think there are some worse places to be,

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
in south wales theres a place known as tipi valley it must have around 50 people living all year round in tipis and yurts, ive been twice its a great place very friendly and welcoming

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
If I didn't know the background to the situation, I'd think nice clean setup, too. But the thought that someone has possibly lost their home because of the financial climate, makes it a rather sad looking place. Not that there's anything wrong with living outdoors, but the price some people are paying for it, is too high :(

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Looks like a tidy camp alright, if it is a permanent living area then they're doing well out there. obviously a house is preferable but they appear to have a decent setup and are maintaining it well.
what is the law in the US regardiing settlements like this? technically isn't this how all original settlements where created in the US? tent cities then small homes built from the local wood etc?
it would almost be a romantic opportunity if under different circumstances.

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Stayed there for a short while back in the 80s. Someone had built a tipi up a tree, guess what it was called.............................the treepi. Bet it has changed a lot now.
Whoops, meant to reply to Andy T's post.

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I recall seeing various news reports of places like this popping up, as certain criminal types were not allowed back into towns and cities due to them being too near schools and other childrens institutes...

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Stayed there for a short while back in the 80s. Someone had built a tipi up a tree, guess what it was called.............................the treepi. Bet it has changed a lot now.
Whoops, meant to reply to Andy T's post.

I knew what you meant
I spent half the summer there this year, going back in october. I didn't want to leave. My best friend that came with me hasn't left and is staying there permanently.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
It seems pretty idyllic and well organised now, but some of your previous posts have shown us how the harsh winters in your part of the world can be. Let's hope they can get some kind of heated accomodation ( either in their camp or elsewhere ) before the cold weather arrives.

As an aside, a very few years ago, someone in the UK ( I think it may have been somewhere in Wales ) had been living a very ecologically friendly, simple, unnoticed life for several years in a self built, ecologically friendly, simple, unnoticed house. That is until the authorities conducted an aerial survey of the region, discovered the house and threatened to evict the occupier and demolish the house. Does anyone on here know what happened in that case?

( Sorry for hijacking your thread Brad ).

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Personally, I'd rather deal with cold than with insects. And with snow on the ground, there are no worries about fire or water. But the knowledge of "hot tenting" with a wood stove in a canvas tent seems to have been largely lost. Winter camping in a damp nylon dome tent is indeed miserable.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
It seems pretty idyllic and well organised now, but some of your previous posts have shown us how the harsh winters in your part of the world can be. Let's hope they can get some kind of heated accomodation ( either in their camp or elsewhere ) before the cold weather arrives.

As an aside, a very few years ago, someone in the UK ( I think it may have been somewhere in Wales ) had been living a very ecologically friendly, simple, unnoticed life for several years in a self built, ecologically friendly, simple, unnoticed house. That is until the authorities conducted an aerial survey of the region, discovered the house and threatened to evict the occupier and demolish the house. Does anyone on here know what happened in that case?

( Sorry for hijacking your thread Brad ).

Cheers, Michael.

was this the man with the cabin?
if so
he put in an appeal to the council, there is a law that says you can claim a outbuilding/shed as living accommodation if you've been there for so many years, the council voted and he was forced to pull it down iirc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE