A hammock ... According to RM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I had a hennessy about 6-7 years ago and the build quality was really good... part of me even enjoyed being birthed each morning but trying to stay on a mat all night was a pain. I since have a Warbonnet blackbird 1.7 double skin and it's about spot on for me.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hennessys seem to have dropped a little in popularity over the years, In my view it's because the competition has got a lot better.

I wouldn't now buy a hammock as I make my own but if I did, I would get Warbonnet Blackbird or a UK Hammocks Woodsman x without question.

As for Hammocks being unsuitable outside of the jungle, that has been well and truly dis-proved. It does take more thought, especially when the temps really start getting into the minuses. For for me personally, it's the most comfortable way of sleeping outdoors.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Well...most 'care' what an experienced bush crafter thinks...if so this is a hennessy I think... (barnded as RM)...hennessy used to be very good and then they changed their manufacturing/design...")

On a trip down the Ardeche Gorge, Ray used his Eco hammock system, he seemed comfy enough and was happy to tell us why it was a great way to sleep out and about, it wasn't a rebranded Hennessy but something made for Woodlore by Pyramid.

I have both an Eco system hammock and an older Hennessy ultralight hammock, of the two the Hennessy has had more use, mainly because of the sewn in insect net, very useful in parts of Europe never mind the rain forrest.

The Eco-system is very well built, more robust but much heavier than the Hennessy, if the quality of the Hennessy has dropped then that is a pity, mine has had dogs abuse but is still going strong.

I generally only use a hammock in places or seasons where the insect life might be out to get me, if I can sleep on the ground under a tarp I do so.

:)

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
It has to be said, they are way more trouble than a tent in cold weather. It's pretty easy to get a tent up to a comfortable temperature and maintain it but that's just not possible under a tarp, the temperature of your living area is always the same as the outside temperature.

I have a down underquilt for my hammock and I just wouldn't want to maintain it in the winter when it's going to get damp or frosty or even covered in crud from hail stones kicking mud up off the ground. I know it's possible to stick a foam mat in the hammock or even a half inflated thermarest but that's not as comfortable.

I have spent a few nights on a US type folding camp cot (though just a steel framed knock off) and that gave about the best nights sleep ever outdoors, flat, off the ground, stable and comfy with only a thin foam mat. Pity they're bulky and heavy to carry. The little bow ones now sold by MSR are lovely but a bit low for me.

Back on topic, I had a RM ECO hammock and in the DVD that comes with it he even says they are good for winter with a mat inside.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
ermmmmm... does this look like a how can I validate buying a Hennessy thread... not a which is the best bit of advice listening to others that regularly use them... but does RM know better then others,

One thing I have found is that I like a HAmmock, I find it comfortable, I like that fact that I can sit in it and put on my boots easy, its a nice feeling, the list can go on but some times Hammock dont suit you you will never find out unless you try one for a while.

One thing I have noticed is that Every night I sleep well when I sleep.. but wake up some times need ing a wee a couple of time a night.. some have said its because I am cold .. but I am snugly and warm in mine and it happens one warm nights as well... I never wake up in a bed... I thought it was the amount that I drunk around the fire at night....I very rarely drink any Alcohol so it not that... so I stopped drinking after evening meal...still the same....

This last weekend I went back to Ground dwelling ..... and no prize's for guessing what.... did not wee once... so I next time I am out I am trying the ground again... then I am going back to the Hammock for a couple of nights to see what happens...

Anyway back to it just buy one and try it..... or see if some one will lend you one... RM may be god in your eyes , stop watching the vids get out there and try it yourself....

Oh by the way I do like RM.. and like the value his information has.. but I like to learn myself... and from others as well

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I had a RM ECO hammock and in the DVD that comes with it..."

That was quite a nice wee video, probably filmed around about the time of the 'Bushcraft - Four Seasons' program. It was available to download from Youtube for a while, not any more though. :(

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
ermmmmm... does this look like a how can I validate buying a Hennessy thread... not a which is the best bit of advice listening to others that regularly use them... but does RM know better then others,

One thing I have found is that I like a HAmmock, I find it comfortable, I like that fact that I can sit in it and put on my boots easy, its a nice feeling, the list can go on but some times Hammock dont suit you you will never find out unless you try one for a while.

One thing I have noticed is that Every night I sleep well when I sleep.. but wake up some times need ing a wee a couple of time a night.. some have said its because I am cold .. but I am snugly and warm in mine and it happens one warm nights as well... I never wake up in a bed... I thought it was the amount that I drunk around the fire at night....I very rarely drink any Alcohol so it not that... so I stopped drinking after evening meal...still the same....

This last weekend I went back to Ground dwelling ..... and no prize's for guessing what.... did not wee once... so I next time I am out I am trying the ground again... then I am going back to the Hammock for a couple of nights to see what happens...

Anyway back to it just buy one and try it..... or see if some one will lend you one... RM may be god in your eyes , stop watching the vids get out there and try it yourself....

Oh by the way I do like RM.. and like the value his information has.. but I like to learn myself... and from others as well

I find the exact same wee thing. I have no idea why!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Interesting about waking up in the night Big Stu. A thread came up on Hammock Forums about this as others have noticed it.

General consensus there was it was down to having cooler kidneys when hammocking. The lower back and bum stick out further in the hammock and this is also the area where compression in the underquilt, pad or mat is greatest, causing the colder back. Because the hammock fabric compresses all of your lower back instead of more localised pressure points on the ground, cooling is more generalized to the area.

You may be able to cure it completely with an extra piece of insulation under your lower back, like a piece of foam mat or sleeping in more torso clothing than leg.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
if you really want a quality hammock made to your own specs or standard i would highly recomend UK hammocks,he makes every hammock to order from scratch,ille argue that no finer hammock exists.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Interesting about waking up in the night Big Stu. A thread came up on Hammock Forums about this as others have noticed it.

General consensus there was it was down to having cooler kidneys when hammocking. The lower back and bum stick out further in the hammock and this is also the area where compression in the underquilt, pad or mat is greatest, causing the colder back. Because the hammock fabric compresses all of your lower back instead of more localised pressure points on the ground, cooling is more generalized to the area.

You may be able to cure it completely with an extra piece of insulation under your lower back, like a piece of foam mat or sleeping in more torso clothing than leg.

Yeah the thought of the Karrimatt between the two layers I have tried, as i say some times been too warm in the cooler nights of the year, all I can think is that the body lay's slighty differnt and the presure around the body seems to make me wee more.. ie cramps the Bladder a bit... and make it smaller..

I tend to sleep in just my underlayer, if I wear more it seem not to make any differnce, ive tried wearing a fleece as well..

Its an odd one , but if going back to the ground is the way nature wants me to go then I will, or even try a camp bed... :)

Its Interesting that others have noticed that as well.....

rg598

Native
I always sleep on the ground, but I still have to get up several times during the night. I have no idea why. Possibly it is because I drink a lot more water when I am in the woods. That's why I started using a pee bottle. It's much better than actually having to get up every time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE