A hammock ... According to RM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
Ok,

i have see. A few people with a hennessy hammock set up and it always looks pretty sweet.

but I was on a tracking course last year with wood lore and old RM ripped a length of all those with hammocks. Saying they were only good for rain forest and any old fool could go wild camping and be uncomfortable.
He then went on to say that Hennessy used to be great but now where crap which is why woodlore have stopped selling them.
m
All I know is that a few people froze that week ( a ground frost was down most nights) kinda proving him right, but with the warm evenings drawing in I was looking to spend a night suspended under the stars...

so any less opinionated ideas? Are Hennessy crap now days? Of all te models which one should if any I buy? Are there any serious competition? Anyone????

no

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Compared to a stretcher bed then - yes - hammocks are a poor option :)
As to only suitable for Rain-forests - nope!
Hamocks are great in whatever climate as they take all the lumps out of the ground and if used with a good insulation layer under you (underquilt or groundmat )then they are not cold either (in my experience).
As to Hennessy - I don't know as I have not used one! I use an RM hammock (which he no longer sells either) and have found it good over the past numerous years ... though I have re-sewn all the stitching as age started weakening it!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can be very comfy in a hammock and you can be freezing cold on the ground - depends on technique.

To stay warm in a hammock is a little trickier as there is more of you exposed to the air but with a properly rigged underquilt it's very cozy

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I have a Hennessy - fantastic kit and love sleeping in it - sleep better in hammock than I do my own bed. In winter I'm either on the ground or using my Kifaru tipi.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have a Hennessey and think it's great but as said above you need an underquilt or pad to help keep you warm. I prefer to be in a hammock then on the ground as I find it more comfy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk HD

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
Well...most 'care' what an experienced bush crafter thinks.. and Raymondo is certainly that... and he was quite passionate and proved right when the chap in question after two night of trying to keep a fire going gave up and bought a tent! But in honesty this was not the point of the thread..

The point was to ask what other makes are out there that are any good? or is it hennessy or nothing?

Mr Fenna sir is yours the one he used on his early TV series? if so this is a hennessy I think... (barnded as RM) His POV was that hennessy used to be very good and then they changed their manufacturing/design and now they arn't. Which is why Woodlore dont sell them any more. Of course it could just be that he is a little more rotund now days and is pushing the design to its limits ;-)

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Well...most 'care' what an experienced bush crafter thinks.. and Raymondo is certainly that... and he was quite passionate and proved right when the chap in question after two night of trying to keep a fire going gave up and bought a tent! But in honesty this was not the point of the thread..

Every person in the world has an opinion but it doesn't mean everybody is right. The correct answer would be what makes an individual comfortable or they enjoy. Many Americans on hammock forums are very happy in hammocks down to temps we never see in this country, are they even more wrong?

I have a WBBB and love it. Hennessy have the womb entry but some people like the rebirth in the morning:)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Every person in the world has an opinion but it doesn't mean everybody is right. The correct answer would be what makes an individual comfortable or they enjoy. Many Americans on hammock forums are very happy in hammocks down to temps we never see in this country, are they even more wrong?

I have a WBBB and love it. Hennessy have the womb entry but some people like the rebirth in the morning:)

Rays point may be you have to carry a little more to stay warm in a hammock than you do in a tent.

1 man tent(or tarp and or bivi bag) with sleeping bag and mat - V - Hammock, tarp, underblanket(or mat), topquilt(or bag).

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Look for threads by TeePee, he has done quite a few -figure hangs and been comfy enough. Just because its a comment by RM doesn't mean its gospel, I love my hammock and have been plenty warm enough down to -5, I have also recently swapped over to floor sleeping and don't find that as comfortable regardless of having some decent kit.
My floor kit is bulkier and slightly heavier than my hammock kit.
As for a hammock I have used DD and UKHammocks and been more than happy with both where as others will have there favorite

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No - not a Hennessy - made by Swiss Tulle and just a bog standard hammock

The point was to ask what other makes are out there that are any good? or is it hennessy or nothing?

Mr Fenna sir is yours the one he used on his early TV series? if so this is a hennessy I think... (barnded as RM) His POV was that hennessy used to be very good and then they changed their manufacturing/design and now they arn't. Which is why Woodlore dont sell them any more. Of course it could just be that he is a little more rotund now days and is pushing the design to its limits ;-)

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Rays point may be you have to carry a little more to stay warm in a hammock than you do in a tent.

1 man tent(or tarp and or bivi bag) with sleeping bag and mat - V - Hammock, tarp, underblanket(or mat), topquilt(or bag).

Without a good investment in money and time that's right. However, many in the US go out in hammocks down into negative F with setups weighing much less than anything I have hammock or ground set up. That takes money and a technical interest but many people enjoy really getting involved developing the gear they use.

Its a personal choice, maybe more faff but for most bushcraft is just about enjoyment and we are a long way from the jungle to try these things out!

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Ok,

i have see. A few people with a hennessy hammock set up and it always looks pretty sweet.

but I was on a tracking course last year with wood lore and old RM ripped a length of all those with hammocks. Saying they were only good for rain forest and any old fool could go wild camping and be uncomfortable.
He then went on to say that Hennessy used to be great but now where crap which is why woodlore have stopped selling them.
m
All I know is that a few people froze that week ( a ground frost was down most nights) kinda proving him right, but with the warm evenings drawing in I was looking to spend a night suspended under the stars...

so any less opinionated ideas? Are Hennessy crap now days? Of all te models which one should if any I buy? Are there any serious competition? Anyone????

no

The bold text suggests Ray isn't comfortable in a hammock which is fair enough.
To suggest they're bad news because of that seems odd.

So does the bit about rain forests.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I had an original Ray Mears Woodlore Eco System, the hammock was made by Pyramid and was a basic gathered end hammock, I must admit I did not know he sold Hennessy products. I now use a WBBB which I find more comfortable and lighter. Mat at UK hammocks makes some excellent hammocks and quilts and also offers sound advise.
If you are interested speak to Mat or have a look on hammock forums.
As for not been suitable in colder places I've only been down to -4 and that was fine with the right gear. Top and bottom quilts and a wooly hat.
As to opinions, well what suits one individual does not always suit another, there are no rules, as long as you get a good nights sleep I think its up to the individual as to what he uses to sleep in.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
hammoks are according to the weather, and if you have a big enough tent I bet they're great in there, like they are indoors in south america. I think the general theme of all the comments (HRHM'n included) is they dont protect you from the wind on their own, if you make a good enough wind break you have hammock comfort, headroom, and lots of working space, if you just stick a small bivvy draped over it, you loose alot of the advantages over a tent, and miss alot of the advantages of a tent.

Edit:

and carrying two trees round adds significant bag weight.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE