A good tree book?

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I've been out today collecting wood to have a go at making a bow drill and my first spoon and I've realised I'm rather ignorant to which tree is which.

Can anyone recommend a well illustrated book that wood help me out. It would be a bonus if it lets you know what the wood is good for and things to look out for i.e. poisonous etc.

Cheers

Pib

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
tomtom said:
Collins Field Guide TREES Britain and Europe - Alan Mitchell
ISBN:0-00-219213-6

i have the above.. and think it quite a good one!

I've got this little gem and it's very useful. Nice and small too so it fits in your pocket and has a plastic cover to keep it a bit more protected outdoors. :)

Bam. :D

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I've bought a few different tree guides, but by far the best is:

Field Guide to the Trees and Shrubs of Britain - 0276425073

It's broken up into several sections, to identify trees and shrubs by different criteria, such as leaves, winter buds, etc. It also contains a short paragraph on folklore and traditional uses. Because it covers native and many non-native trees and shrubs, it's handy when you encounter something that may be an escapee from parks and gardens too.

Unfortunately, it's not exactly pocket sized (unless you've got big pockets :D ). It's about A5.

Pappa

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
The Collins Tree Guide is an amazing book extremely complete very good identification methods for all seasons i usually takes a twig sample and take it home if i don't know what tree it is and this book has never let me down. I used to use the Colins Gem in the field but i only take it out now if i have my nephew with me he likes to use it to get an ID in the field can't wait until he gets home wants to find out there and then.

James

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have both the Collins gem Trees book (ISBN 0 00470545 9) and the Larousse pocket guide to trees of Britain and northern Europe (ISBN 0 7523 0017 2) and I have to say that I think the Larousse book is considerably better than the Collins gem one.

It's about an inch higher (25mm) and about 3/4 (19mm) wider so it fits into a pocket with ease but contains a lot more information and has colour coded page edges to speed up use.

My collins gem cost 3.99 and the Larousse book was well worth the 5.99 I paid for it (sorry but this ******* keyboard doesn't do pound signs :rolleyes: but you get my drift) and it's the one I reach for even though I have the choice.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
pibbleb said:
I've been out today collecting wood to have a go at making a bow drill and my first spoon and I've realised I'm rather ignorant to which tree is which.

Can anyone recommend a well illustrated book that wood help me out. It would be a bonus if it lets you know what the wood is good for and things to look out for i.e. poisonous etc.

Cheers

Pib

The Complete Guide to the Trees of Britain and Northern Europe, by Alan Mitchell and David More. Too big and unwieldy for a field guide, but a great book to have back at base.

Trees in Britain, by Roger Phillips (I also recomend his similar large format paperback guides to wild flowers, mushrooms, wild food, etc.)

Burnt Ash

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Just a quick note of thanks. I've ordered a couple of books that have been mentioned here so thanks for that. :You_Rock_

My decision was based on most popular suggestion and price. I've ordered Collins Gem Tree book, which I got for £1.48 plus postage. I also ordered The Complete Guide to Trees of Britian and Northern Europe.

Cheers again

Paul

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i might get the collins gem or the collins guide to tree id what one do you think i should choose????

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'd agree and say go for the Gem, it's pocket size so you can take it with you, if you remember D'oh ;), and easy to use. My six year old manages with it no problem so I'm guessing I can use it. :lmao:

I can't recall whether you are the younger adventurer, but if you are get a guardian to look on Amazon, I rave on about it, but there are some good deals if you are happy with second hand. I think my reply below shos the cost I paid and it was as good as new for £1+ this may not sit well with some as the author isn't acknowledged financially. but you have to think about your own pocket sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Pib

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes thanks for that
and yes i am young 14 yrs old
i will look at ebay and amazon
£1 sounds good

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE