A good compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I'm looking for a decent little compass: my last watch-strap Silva reversed polarity.

Any recommendations appreciated.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
If you can find a strong magnet, then wipe it over the face of your old compass, then check against a known good compass.
and if it is still only slightly out then use it as a backup
Regards
Stu

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Thanks, all. The watch-strap mounted Silva completely reversed polarity. Am now wearing a cheapo Millets one on my other wrist to see what happens. I must've been stood next to/in magnetic fields of late.

Not sure if anyone's had this happen.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm looking for a decent little compass: my last watch-strap Silva reversed polarity.

Any recommendations appreciated.
If it has completely changed polarity ...just accept that the WHITEend points North and carry on with the one you have....
It is often forgotten that the human body holds a significant electric charge (especially when you are wearing synthetic fabrics - nylon knickers were banned in many computer rooms back in the day) and can disrupt sensitive electronics.
I killed several high tech watches that incorporated altimeters/barometers ( I could sit on the beach and watch my altitute climb to above the clouds/everest/atmosphere) and I was told that it was my own personal electricity that was doing the harm. Later models of thse watches (I was told) incorporated more shielding... but I never got to review those!
If you have more trouble keep your compass in a faraday cage (or tin box) to avoid stray electric currents!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE