A gift from the wood work shop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Not at all bushcrafty, but I suppose that woodworking is a traditional craft. Anyway - just finishing (literally) this simple cherry wood side table for my Wife's Christmas present. It will replace a rather battered one she has been using next to her favorite chair.

I favor this kind of project - big enough to be engaging and enjoyable, but not so big as to seem never ending. Cherry is my favorite wood to work with (for furniture and cabinets) because it's dimensionally stable, hard enough to be durable, and not too hard to work with - it also finishes to a lovely honey color without any stain. I made this out of lumber that I had on hand and it pretty much wiped out my stock of cherry which is why the panels are so poorly matched and some (relatively) white sapwood was used, but I still think it came out pretty good. I hope she likes it.

side-table.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That is a beautiful gift :D I'm sure she will be delighted with it, especially something that she will use every day.

I have hand made-for-me pieces of furniture, and I treasure them :D

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a beautiful present for your good lady. Think she'll be very happy, not just on the day but for many years to come. And that wood will only improve with time.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

The shelves are glued into mortises, but the top is merely attached with a 1 1/2" triangle molding on each end. It's patterned after an antique which is still very solid after 50 years or so of use - enough use that the top finish is worn completely down to bare wood. I'll take some more pictures if you are really interested - but it's really a very simple piece of work.

More pictures as promised:

side-table1.jpg

side-table2.jpg

Very simple construction. FYI it is approx 24" tall and the top is about 12"x24" If you are crafty and wanted to you could pretty much reproduce it from those measurements and the photos. The shelves are mortised into the legs and the top is attached as you see without any mortises, dowels or other fancy joinery - although if I wanted to do that I would just mortise the legs into the top and still use the triangle molding to strengthen the joint. You could leave out the sub-top in any scenario if you wanted to, but it makes it easier to accurately attach the legs to the top when they are not mortised in.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE