A floody wet day at home

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Anybody else get a bit damp today?

Just had the little stream that runs near our house decide to turn from its usual trickle into a flash flood.

One of my neighbours measured 3 inches of rain falling in an hour and a half in his rain gauge.

Needless to say our Parky flooring did not agree with the flash flood. Will no doubt have to be replaced.

We took about an inch or two of rather brown and smelly water throughout the whole ground floor. We got most of the stuff upstairs except the big stuff. Even got to my Bushcraft kit in time.

In between bailing out I spent my time pushing cars from the road opposite us onto dry land after they conked out and extracting children from the water.

Seems silly to me but why would you want to drive in water when you cannot see your bonnet? Also some mothers decided to take their kids home from school and cross the raging torrent. I could hardly stand in it. The kids were screaming as they were being dragged through the river. Being only little uns the water was up to their waists. My wife wrapped them up in all our spare fleeces and jackets while trying not to worry too much about the house sinking around her and we sent them home via a slightly drier route. Hopefully I will get the fleeces back at least.

My daughter (she is 4) loved the whole adventure and cannot wait for it to happen again. Wouldn't it be great to be 4 again?

Bang goes this weekends Bushcrafting and I have not even discussed getting away for the Moot next week.

The house has now resurfaced though a bit smelly. I have sent Alison and Catherine of to stay with friends for the night. Alison is pregnant so until the house is clean I am on my own.

After a bit more scrubbing the decks I am of to the pub though.

Yours damply

George

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Its times like this I'm thankkful of living at the top of a hill.
I can never understand why people try and drive through flood water, but then 'there's none so queer as folk'

Hope the damage is not too severe and doesn't cause you too much pain mate.

And more selfishly, I hope you can still make it down to the moot...

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I was out in the storm today. It was the worst rain I've seen in a long time in this country. I was trapped out on my allotment because the dog didn't want to leave because he hates rain. :rolleyes:

We are in a valley here but fortunately the rain seems to run off pretty well for the most part. When I finally dragged the dog out of the greenhouse because I wanted to go home there was a lot of minor flooding around. The brook that runs through the bottom of the valley was a raging torrent and my poor dog got very wet.

My waterproof boots and Gore-Tex jacket held up but I was foolish enough to wear jeans which got drenched and stuck to me - very uncomfortable. I discovered that my backpack is only shower resistant too. :rolleyes:

For me it was just minor discomfort but I know some people had a much rougher time of it, like Seoras. I hope everybody else on the forum is okay.

My son is going camping with Scouts for ten days starting tomorrow. I hope the weather lets up a bit for him.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
S'orry to hear that George, hope you soon get sorted.. I have not seen rain like we had today before. 8:30 till about 11:30 of solid heavy rain...Thunder all around, sirens going off all over the place...I am supposed to be doing a roofing job....hey ho....

Sorry to hear of your plight George - obviously "smelly" means a drain overspill rather than a "natural" flood (the difference will be in the cleaning!) - a reminder to all of us that feel safe living above the natural waterline (in my case 100 ft above the Swale) - drain floods can happen at any level.

Still, with you and your's safe (and how resilient are kids!) - the pub (hopefully dry) seems like a good place to be right now.

I can only wish you and many others like you - all the best.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I am glad everyone else who got caught in the rain is OK. Hopefully I will get away next weekend. The Moot is one weekend I would hate to miss.

Hopefuly see you then?

George

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Got caught out doing a delivery about 100 yards from my van, must have looked funny using a boxed dyson as a umbrella in my shorts and tshirt :11doh:
Atleast there were casulties this time round, just damage to property and possesions, still a pain though and takes forever too sort out :cussing:

George - s-o-r-r-y to hear of you problems and I hope that the damage is not too great :(

I would suggest getting your hands on a professional dehumidifier though, building plant hire place should do them, but try and get one before everybody in your area wants one!!!!!!

Should help to get the moisture out of your house quicker - but you may not be able to be in the same room as the machine is running in. Ask for advice at the hire shop.

All the best buddy.

Phil.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
George - s-o-r-r-y to hear of you problems and I hope that the damage is not too great :(

I would suggest getting your hands on a professional dehumidifier though, building plant hire place should do them, but try and get one before everybody in your area wants one!!!!!!

Should help to get the moisture out of your house quicker - but you may not be able to be in the same room as the machine is running in. Ask for advice at the hire shop.

All the best buddy.

Phil.
Years ago, on site we had an annoying lad working with us....The foreman was always threatening to lock him in a small room with a dehumidifier running.....:eek:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
All the best George,
Seeing the news footage, I'm glad I don't work down that way any more.
Good luck with getting it all sorted in quick time mate.

ATB

Ogri the trog

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
S*rry to hear about your flood, my heart goes out to your family.

When you finshed all that sh!t shovelling, and put the dehumidifier on, and made a bonfire out your once nice flooring, furniture, skirting boards, i really think you will feel better for a holiday bushcrafting by the sea in south wales. At least you feel consentfully displaced.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Don,t burm the flooring they make great knife scales you could make a fortune on ebay:eek:

Now there's a thought. Like the idea of using them for scales if the floor has to be redone.

Will have to wait though for the loss adjustor to come round next week but me thinks they may be a tad busy with those poor folk who have been swamped totally. Knowing my luck they will only dry them out.

Thanks everyone for all your kind thoughts and advice.

My Seacadet group which I was supposed to be with this weekend bushcrafting in Essex (Danemead Woods) have reported in that their parachute has finally given up the ghost and is now leaking like a collander. We have though a back up building for them to use if it gets really bad out there. From what I have been told though they are enjoying the adventure, if a tad damp but they are Seacadets after all.

Hopefully catch up with you all at the Moot.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Neil.....How come you managed to write the S word there that the rest of us are not allowed to write......???

Dark arts. :lmao: Or html as it's sometimes known.

&#83&#59; is a S and &#115&#59; is s. So if you put &#83&#59;orry it comes out as Sorry.

It'll change to text again if you edit or preview it though, as I think the forum software saves the letter form rather than the character code. I've no idea why the word Sorry seems to be banned though.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Hope everyone is ok still. I had to drive back to Dorset from Warwick, it took me 7 hours which was quite good - some people on the motorway had to spend the night in their car's.

Luckly I've got a diesel so it's less of a problem in water than petrol cars. One bit I passed there were at least a dozen cars conked out after a section of water about 5-10 inches deep.

One thing I saw that made me really think - on the front of the Sun there was a picture of some bloke getting pulled from his 4X4 after he waded through 5-6 feet of water and struck something underwater. this was plainly just really stupid, and the guy an idiot. If you can't see where you are driving don't bother!! the amount of people driving through at 20-30 miles an hour and conking out was surprising as well. If you have to go through, make sure you drive in the middle of the road, and no more than about 10mph or else you'll flood your engine out..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE