A fishing beginner, need a nudge in the right direction....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnBean

Aug 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Basically I've got myself a job in Norway and a few of the guys I work with like to go for a fish twice a week in the evening and I would like to join them, unfortunately it's hard to get any good advice out of them about a rod and reel because of the language barrier.
I was just wondering if someone could give me abit of knowledge on a half tidy rod and reel set up to get.
I'm after a telescopic rod because I only take a backpack to work so the size is one of the more important things. I just need to know a suitable rod and reel size for fishing in rivers and lakes just to catch small fish, maybe something big enough for a meal one night. Nothing drastic just a tidy set up that can keep my going a few nights a week. Any help would be massively appreciated.
Thanks

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Go with them, Watch what they do and what gear they have then go buy something similar. I would buy here though as Norway is a expensive country as i'm sure you will know.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've heard mixed reviews of the various telescopic rods that are on the market. The advice I was given was to get one of the short section travel rods, you can get 4 and 5 section rods that pack down to around 2ft long, and should perform better than many of the telescopic sets.

This said I am no expert, I don't fish, I merely make offerings of tackle to the gods of the sea...

J

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Two piece rods don't fit inside a pack but then again, very few "pack" rods do, either.

If I had to pick one for most sorts of freshwater fishing, it's this:
6' 2-piece spinning rod of modest to medium price, Garcia Mitchell 300 open face spinning reel and 8lb monofilament line.
Maybe a little spool of 2lb and 4lb for more delicate leaders. Blood knots join mono just fine.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've heard mixed reviews of the various telescopic rods that are on the market. The advice I was given was to get one of the short section travel rods, you can get 4 and 5 section rods that pack down to around 2ft long, and should perform better than many of the telescopic sets.

This said I am no expert, I don't fish, I merely make offerings of tackle to the gods of the sea...

J
One problem I admit with the fladen one I said is that the secions stick. But I just give it a rub of soap and its fine

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I can't recommend the Shimano exage telescopic road and reel combo enough. I use mine all the time and it hasn't let me down, biggest fish to date is a 16lb carp and it packs really small along with the reel. One draw back, not the cheapest on the block but the good, old inter web, I'm sure there is a deal out there and a lot cheaper buying locally in Norway!

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Tele rods are cheap & you can't lose bits while backpacking! Grease the joints = no sticking probs. £1 shop ones work fine & tele down to 18".
Carbon fixed-spool reels are cheap and light - it's worth paying for something better than the £1 shop ones though + 2 spools useful for a choice of monofilament line strength.
Mepps and Toby-type spoon-spinners work everywhere & Norway is fabulous!
Tight lines!

Last edited by a moderator:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not like telescopic rods as I have broken to many. But the Shimano Exage is as handy as a telescopic rod, but stronger. I have several, none broken yet. All about 15 year old now!

What I have done to two of them is to make a modification like this: I have made a short, stiff end piece that fits on the second last piece with just the top guide, no rings. This way I have basically 2 rods in one, one for light fishing ( with the original end piece) and with the short end piece a rod for heavier fishing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE