A first venture out... (longish, and possibly boring :D)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Having had some interest in outdoors activity, and arriving here via British Blades, I soon found there was loads of kit I absolutely needed :D.

Having tried some bits, I determined I was going to do an overnight over Xmas.
Breaking a toe put paid to that... but I'm better now. In the end, I decided I might as well give it a try last night.

Kit I've used that I mention follows me acquiring it after chats here or British Blades.

This includes:
Sabre 45 pack with side pockets [Endicots of Exeter]
Swedish Army Trangia [via bumblebee :D; fuelled with legal IDA following a mention by Magikelly]
Jetboil [me wibbling on]
Petzl Myo XP [me]
Nanok Endurance -10 [outdoorcode]
Hammock and Hex Fly[group buys via Magikelly]
Ridge and guy cordage [Bearclaw Bushcraft]
Snugpak Sleeka [me, bought with an ebay money off voucher]
A spork! [Me]

I set off a little after 3pm towards Milbuie Forest at the top of the Black Isle.
One of the many nice things about living in Scotland is that you can wild camp just about anywhere, thanks to theLand Reform(Scotland) Act 2003. I parked up on the road and trogged off down a forest path; about half a mile down it, I cut direct into the woodland plantation.

My pack was heavyish - I'd guess 35 lbs +; heavy things being the Nanok bag, the Swedish cookset, and about 3.5 litres of water. like everyone the first time I guess, the only thing missing was the kitchen sink.

I found a smallish raised bit where I could pitch the fly. Easy ridgeline, and with a couple of extensions I managed to get the guys looking a bit smarter than last time.

Hammock dropped into place easily enough.

sideonsmall.jpg

I'd even managed to get a bit where I could step *out* of the hammock.

endonsmall.jpg

Dropped my reflective windscreen cover in, unstuffed the Nanok bag.
Time to get a brew on. Jetboil for that; worked a dream. Tea in 4 minutes; real milk out of a thermos. Sit down and read for a bit. Watch the sun setting.

Ah. maybe better get tea on. Chicken curry out of a *tin*. Hmm, wondered why the pack was heavy. Trangia lights OK - always fascinates me watching the pressure build. heated up nicely in the lid; ate with bread using my Spork - see, Ti! a *real* weight saver :rolleyes: Did the washing up.

Stuck on the MyoXP and read for a bit longer; into the hammock... already beginning to drop off and it's only 6.30! Listen to the radio[tiny little personal radio] ring SWMBO to give progress report. Get up, have another brew, stretch my legs. Sleeka on as it's getting cool. Read, practice some knots...

10pm. Hurrah, I can go to sleep; brew, clean teeth, other ablutions. Struggle into bag [forecast is for -4/-6, so sleep with Rab Trail Pants on, Driflow top and wooly pully]. Dead easy to sleep; I expect to be nervous as first night in woods, but I'm not. Possibly because I know this area well, it's a safe area, and I'm deep enough that it would be a struggle to get in in the dark :). Listen to the owls; look at the stars.

Wake up; gosh I've slept well. Must be about 6am; check; ah, 2am. Need a pee, stagger out attend to that. Back to kip easily. Listen to the rain fall on the fly sheet. Splendid; can still see stars in between the trees. I like this a lot.

4am wake up. An owl has perched on my tree; amazing noise. Wait until I can't stand it, go for another pee [too much tea late at night :rolleyes:]. This time, I can't get the bag comfy and closed. I'm cold. I can't find the head torch (ah, still on head. Amazingly comfortable). That took about 20 minutes to sort out. I'm shivering, so have the Sleeka on inside the bag. My legs are cold. Debating whether to get up and put LJ on - debating whether to put my padded Sleeka trousers on, I'm that cold. Drop off.

Wake around 6ish. Tops OK, ears are warm in my hat. Legs are freezing.
Can't stand it after 6.50 so get up for morning pee. Disaster. I'm soaked. How can I face BushcraftUK and admit to enuresis?

Of course, what it was that a load of condensation had formed below the bag on top of the wndscreen cover; this had soaked the bag, and must have contributed to the cold.

The Trail pants are Pertex and wick the moisture away instantly. Once out of the bag and moving I warm up, particularly once I've had a morning wet. Couple of bacon sarnies and the world looks brighter. Polish off a tin of beans; have another wet. Suns up. It's been a nice night. Pack up.

Head back to car. Only a touch of ice on it - can't have got to -4. maybe 0.

So, learning points.

I need my Thermarest for inside the bag; the windscreen covers are being sacked.

The hammock and fly sheet are excellent. Extra guy ropes cover off a lot of problems.

The Myo XP is excellent, and you can actually forget you're wearing it.

If I hadn't had the radio, some hours would have dragged.

The paint on the Trangia cook set is burning off! Amazing. Still, it's steel, so I doubt it will be a problem. It cooks well, but is a bit heavy. The JetBoil is great for brews.

The pack is really comfortable.

The Nanok bag... well, let's see what it's like with a Thermarest inside it. I'm not entirely convinced, and I'm a warm sleeper.

So - that was my first night out...

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
You're a braver man than me... -4/-6 :eek: :eek:
Most of my camping's done 'solo' and one thing that puts me off it in winter is the long hours of darkness with little to do (not much chance of a wood fire on Dartmoor to sit and watch-ranger TV someone called it).

Top marks for doing it, and thanks for sharing it (and making me feel like a wimp ! - cue Garry...)

When you doing it again?

cheers
Steve

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Forecast was -4/-6.
I doubt it went much below 0.
There was a bit of ice on the car when I got back to it.

I *ain't* doing it again till I have a Thermarest!

Probably about 3 weeks time; I need to sort out my packing and organisation.

I've just watched the Ray Mears eco-system video (Thanks, John) and I want to have a wee practice at some of his knots; I think I'm going to strap the fly to the top of the pack, and *might* tie the webbing onto the hammock rings...

If Andrew at Outdoorcode sorts out his Ulfrotte, I might buy a decent baselayer...

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
I enjoyed reading your experience and I did not know about the new land reform law.
Looks like I will have a go this year :) I take it, that fires are forbidden :confused:

thanks John

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about you trip out, it looks like a really nice spot to have near you!

im reeeeeally looking forward to getting my hammock from Magikelly now :D

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I think you have definately identified your problem...the windscreen cover. I've been camping a few times in a Nanok -0 bag wearing trousers, tshirt and jumper where it has dropped below freezing and I have never got uncomfortablly cold and I have never had condensation inside the hammock and on the sleeping bag.

I was using a cheap millets £30 self inflating jobby but brought a thermarest prolite 4 regular length for christmas and that is even warmer.

Congrats on your first night out. :D

P.S You stated that you are allowed to wild camp almost anywhere in Scotland. I take it though (due to the use of stove and trangia) that fires still are not permitted?? :confused:

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
There is a wide amount of information available about the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.

See here for example, and here .
Fires:
Lighting firesWherever possible, use a stove rather than light an open fire. If you do wish to light an open fire, keep it small, under control and supervised – fires that get out of control can cause major damage, for which you might be liable. Never light an open fire during prolonged dry periods or in areas such as forests, woods, farmland, or on peaty ground or near to buildings or in cultural heritage sites where damage can be easily caused. Heed all advice at times of high risk. Remove all traces of an open fire before you leave.

So basically, guidelines are be sensible.
Where I was camped is in the middle of a conifer plantation. Very tussocky, loads of moss and heather. [And I wanted to try the new kit :D]

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Your set up looks good. The Hex Fly certainly seemed to be set up well.

Now a question. Why not have the windscreen cover in the sleeping bag?

Also I am surprised you slept as well in your first night in a hammock. I always tell the people that their first night in a hammock will be the most comfortable night they never sleep. Most people spend the whole night thinking how comfy they are and looking about at the night go by.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Thanks for sharing your experience with us Soa.
I don't know, because I don't sleep in a hammock, but could sleeping in a hammock contribute to the cold legs thing?
If your legs are slightly raised could it mean that decreased circulation can make you feel colder?

I can only get to sleep on my front. I tried sleeping in a hammock in the Abedare National Park in Kenya, but I could not get on with it and ended up risking the local wildlife and sleeping on the ground.

I must admit that I've never solo camped. It's usually two or three of us, a big fire and lots of beer.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
MagiKelly said:
Your set up looks good. The Hex Fly certainly seemed to be set up well.

Thank you very much - see below for reason...

MagiKelly said:
Now a question. Why not have the windscreen cover in the sleeping bag?

Because... I'm a dick and didn't think of that?
I still reckon that prolite 3 long will help more (and might keep the bag in shape) I also think I didn't pull the Nanok zip tag properly, which made it difficult to shut...

MagiKelly said:
Also I am surprised you slept as well in your first night in a hammock. I always tell the people that their first night in a hammock will be the most comfortable night they never sleep. Most people spend the whole night thinking how comfy they are and looking about at the night go by.

First night. 3rd time out. I tried it with SWMBO and pups when I got it, and went out with the lad over Xmas for the afternoon.

The odd dram of HP might have helped...

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Glad you had a good time Soa, and I'm sure the Thermarest will make a big difference though. By windscreen cover, do you mean one of these silver things? I would imagine this would be like a Solar Still in these temps at collecting moisture :confused:

While I agree that hammocks are very comfy, I usually prefer sleeping on terra firma as I find that the slight rocking sensation is not really what I need after a couple of bottles of red wine and / or a case of Belgiums finest! :D

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I really enjoyed your story. I find that the simple things are more often the best. Went to Norfolk to my great aunts funeral in the summer and crept into a wood for an 'overnite'. No fire mind, but just being out there was enjoyable. Cheers from Swyn. :D
Forgot to say that I am finding my old mat uncomfortable and am thinking of a fat airic. Price is good. We'll see...

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
swyn said:
Iam thinking of a fat airic. Price is good. We'll see...

Top piece of gear (well, the Airic anyway). Just deosn't pack as small, which was my decider. I've one Prolite 3 on order from gearzone and one from postfreeoutdoorgear.co.uk

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Top quality posting.

Isn't it great, this sleeping out malarkey. There is such a magical sense of freedom in looking up, seeing the stars, and then just nodding off to sleep again (mind you if you are lucky, and live in the countryside this probably isn't quite so much of an unusual occurance - still one to be treasured tho' ... :rolleyes: ).

My partner recorded -7 last night out towards the edge of the moors, (she also mentioned being freezing cold, and that was indoors with the woodburner lit), so you did well for it not to go much below 0, especailly right up there in far the north land.

The three week's 'till next time will just fly past - plus we'll have more daylight too by then which is great for being out in.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Of course those of us that carry a bivvy bag as well (in case we can't put a hammock up) and use it as an extra insulating layer don't suffer from condensation pooling under the bag!! ;) A dutch jobby with the front split held shut with velcro would be ideal for hammock duties and would almost guarantee keeping the windchill off as well.

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
Hi,

Slightly ot but have you used PICSA from google ? I have used it to lighten my hammock photo and just done one of urs. It's free. I just dragged the FILL LIGHT slider and your hammock appeared.:D

Nick

515756226_ae97ea6cd4_m.jpg

Thanks, Nick.
I have looked at Picasa.

I'll look closer now. (Incidentally, what inspired you to look at a year old thread?) :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE