A First For Me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Tonight im going to do my first solo camp! camping in hammock and tarp, and im well scared haha...will try and get some pics up....wish me luck :D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It's strange isn't it? I have been out solo a couple of times and each time I always get nervous as well. If I'm with others then I have no nerves at all.
I always sit there and think, what am I scared of? Hard as I try, I can never think of anything. I'm just nervous. Bizarre. I suppose it's that 'what's out there in the dark' fear. But that doesn't seem quite right either because I know there's nothing out there - if anything, I am the scary man out in the woods with a knife and axe!
I wonder if it's that feeling of being all alone and utterly responsible for yourself?
Don't know. But I always get a few butterflies if out alone.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I really want to try solo bivvying, it seems like the best way to get a real feeling of being outdoors. Unfortunately I'm pant fillingly scared of the idea and tbh, I don't think the wife will let me :D When the weather's colder and the chavs are out of the forests I'm going to bite the bullet!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
So how did it go then ?

Did the bogey man get you in the middle of the night, making you break camp in record time and high tail it out of there until you reached your front doorstep ?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Yes, I set up around 6 ish, went home, then totally on the spot said

Me- "mum I'm camping out tonight"
Mum-"who with?"
Me- "eerrrrr, friends?"
Mum- "Don't lie to me, your going on your own aren't you?"
Me- "ok yes I am, but ill be fine honestly!"
Mum- "suppose so"

Then I grabbed a few home comforts and was out the door before she could change her mind haha :D

I tried to get some pics but my phone ran out of battery!

I did get a few though, will try and get them set up soon.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I sent an e-mail to a landowner near me for permission to camp in the woodland on their estate so hopefully I'll be doing my first solo camp soon too :D

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I've been very lucky - got my "safe" spot (6 acres of private woodland well away from civilisation so all v safe) and my "interesting" spot (several hundred acres of wood but there's a poacher problem so I carry my shotgun for hem hem shooting breakfast honestly officer). My approach is to shove in the earplugs and pass out regardless - if you've no lights, nobody's going to know you're there anyway (and there are no animals to be scared of - unless you encounter Scuzzlebutt in the dark...)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Afriend of mine(female) said "are'nt you afraid someone will get you?".

Rob

Yes, I had an ex-girlfriend once ask, 'aren't you scared you will get attacked by an axe-murderer?', all quite seriously.
I was dumbfounded for a few seconds but then asked her in reply, 'when was the last time you heard about campers being murdered in the wood in this country?'
Quick as a flash she replied, 'they may have buried the bodies.'
There's not a lot you can say to that. Against stupidity even the gods struggle in vain.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Perhaps, but considering the tendency for drunken chavs to hit our favourite spots I don't say as I blame her all that much.

In the spot I picked out last year, christmas, I had no trouble.

But in the same location near ten years ago now I suppose, I was chased down in that area by about 20 teenagers. At the time I was more than well armed, but I knew the area and slipped by them like a ninja. haha.

On to point of topic, Hope you had a good time and can't wait to see pics.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
I want to get out again, first time i went i just took my sleeping bag and tarp (first time i used that too!) Was fantastic, spent most of the time carving a spoon until it went dark and then just sat by the fire. Great stress relief!

TBH the thing i was most scared of was bugs crawling in my ears/mouth/nose as i was sleeping on the ground!

When my hammock arrives i shall be doing it again :D

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well, permission to stay in that bit of woodlan fell through :( something about insurance and shooting activities (even though I would be on the other side of a beach to the main bit of the estate.

The local farmer said that I could stay on his land but the only bit that is reasonable for me to stay on is a small patch of exposed sycamores. There isn't enough dead wood to burn and the wind from the sea would be horrendous if it was a bad night.

It's such a shame because it's within walking distance and is really private and there is plenty of dead standing wood to burn :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE