A fire to cook on.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You should have a read of G W Sears' (Nessmuk) Woodcraft and Camping, great book with a nice chapter on camp cookery. Plus its a free download in the articles section :D
illp58.png

Elen Sentier

Unless you're "smoking" then neither of these. You need coals (preferably glowing for the highest heat) Probably what Ogri eans when he says "embers." That's where the real heat is. Also the consistent heat.

Here's a few videos demonstrating the technigue (granted he's cooking at a fireplace in a cabin but the technique is the same):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqI0b1xwCs and www.youtube.com/watch?v=mysiBE3qX1k and www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvjVZSmFmg8

These not only show the technique but give some good recipes as well.

grand set of videos :)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I don't like a fire 'on top' of the ground. Maybe it's exAustralian paranoia.

Anyway, my preferred cooking fire is done in a rectangular pit, 2-4" deep. Dig it with a stick, doesn't need to be perfect. Build a fire in half the pit, starting with a base of 1-2" sticks. Let that burn down quite a bit.

Now rake the still burning sticks over to the other half of the rectangle. Add a bit of wood to keep it going.
You should have a bed of glowing coals in the first half. Cook over this. If it starts to get a bit low, well, switch the fire round again.

When you've finished with the fire, put out with water then bury with the soil you dug out.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Fire side of things has been pretty well covered as for food I tend to do one pot stews.

Depending on space and weight considerations I will either take fresh veg/meat or dehydrate it at home which helps a lot.
I try to pack so I have minimal rubbish at the end of the trip so I tend not to have cans and packets to dispose of.

Bread mixes are also great and can be done in a billy with care or in a pan - if your that way inclined you can make a paddle shaped bread board like uncle ray. I tried this once it took the best part of a day for me to be happy with it but got a nice, if flat and slightly scorched, loaf of bread at the end of it.

Bacon draped over a stick above embers is also one of my favourite ways to start a day and there no washing up. :)

Hamster

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I had a read of that book/article, some really great info on the fire and cooking side of things.

I went out last night with a mate and we stayed in a wood which in our half was 70% silver Birch. With plenty of dry small deadfall everywhere.

I made a nice small efficient fire and made a brew, it then turned to embers and I cooked my rice. This morning I made a brew and cooked sausages on sticks.

Thanks to everyone who posted, it really has made a difference and made me look at things differently. :)

I was also surprised at how much easier a fire lights when you start it on a bed of 1 1/2" sticks. And once it does get going it left me with some good embers.

I'll experiment a bit more next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE