A Few questions about Antler

Evening All
i recently got my mitts on a few bits of antler (thanks tengu)
plan to fix one onto top of a walking staff for my grandfather
another part i plan on cutting a piece off and hollowing it out to make a woggle for myself now i am leading my old scout troop.
questions i have are
Staff
is the best way to fix an antler onto the staff to make holes both in the antler and staff and fix a pin so it runs through both?so the length of the pin is half in the antler and half in the staff.
if so is a drill best way of making the holes?
woggle
will a normal hacksaw cut through antler or do i need a different blade?
once i have managed to cut a section of antler off to hollow it out do i just chip away at it or drill holes to punch the centrepiece out?

any suggestions or advice really appreciated

Hey!
I use metal hacksaw blades to cut antler without too many problems, I also use the works bandsaw to save time. Metal twist drills seem to work just fine too.

Have seem something about using flint to carve antler as it stays sharper than steel, can't remember where I saw it

Hope this helps

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Those tools will be fine yes. Though beware the dust as it stinks and I believe it isn't all too good for you either! A gas mask is a good idea in my book.

Andy

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
A dremel with with a hss drill bit will hollow the antler quickly and wear a dust mast.
I find a 19 mm hole works well for a woggle on an adult necker and 16 mm for the kids.

For the stick drill and dowell both parts look HERE for info

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
Antler dust in the lung-ses is bad juju- causes all sort of problems with the tubes. Best to use a respirator. If using a powered saw, note: that antler will burn if the speed of the blade generates enough heat. Preferred tool would be the hacksaw.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Once you have cut your antler to size, soak it in some water for a while, the core will be easier to carve out and will leave with less finishing.

Cheers
JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE