A few projects nearly finished...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I tend to work on a few things at the same time. Sometimes, a project gets on the back burner and languishes for weeks/months...:rolleyes: Lately, I have been trying to catch up with them and finish some.

These two stick dulcimers came to life because one of my clients at work wants to build a guitar. I persuaded him to try something simpler first, which he agreed to, so as I'd never built a musical instrument before, I thought it better to have a practice run first, built a simple banjo first, and these two stick dulcimer followed, as being more complex that the banjo and having all the techniques needed before trying for a guitar.

I am very pleased with them, they produce surprisingly loud sounds for such small sound boxes. They are going to my daughters.

P1020780.jpg

Thebamboo hiking stick was languishing in a corner of the workshop. I have given them hand sewn vegtan leather handles which have been saturated with hot bees wax.

The bamboo stick is a now varnished 4ft5", 1 1/4" diameter pole I found in a garden centre, with a rubber walking stick bung at one end, and, at present, a cork at the other. I quite like the cork, but it's a bit small, so I am thinking of carving a simple wooden bung for it out of a branch of some sort.

The other is a 4ft, 1" piece of Hard Maple left over from the necks of the dulcimers, rounded and with a plumbing copper cap, it will have a rubber stick bung as well, and the top is also a copper cap.

They are both getting a leather wrist strap.

P1020782.jpg

P1020783.jpg

The knife is a follow on from my 2 1/2 hours friction folder. It took a bit longer though! Forged blade, 4 1/2", 1 1/2" wide, overall it's 9" long, with a old piece of weathered Oak for a handle, darkended a bit with a blow torch. It has a 1/2 tang blade, the rivets I used are a couple of nails and cut square washers. As I have not used any glue, there are some slight gaps between the tang and the wood handle as well as a few cracks and I am going to dip the handle in hot beeswax to see if that will fill'em all up!

The sheath is also made and wet molded and will receive the beeswax treatment when dry.

P1020787.jpg

P1020786.jpg

P1020785.jpg

P1020784.jpg

Thanks for looking...:)

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks gentlemen.

Nice work Jojo I really like the instruments any chance you could play one and record it and give us a link.

I'd love to, but....I can't play the darn things...yet! My youngest daughter has got a tune out of hers, but she'd would give me the evil look if I dared suggest recording her playing :eek: But it sounds very much like this one on youtube.

Oh my! Those dulcimers are beautiful. Did you by any chance take some photographs during the build? I'd love to see some.

Eric

I did Eric. They are on my camera, but our computer died and had to be repaired and I haven't yet re-installed the software. I'll be doing that soon though.

Last edited:

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
Cool stuff your making.

After seeing your thread on the banjo and researching Stick dulcimers, I have invested my work bonus ball lottery winnings in a small stick dulcimer in G.

I am currently being made to practice when SWMBO is at work so the natural talent I convinced her I have hasn't materialised yet.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thank you gentlemen, I enjoyed making those. That was the easy bit...now learning to play the thing is another matter entirely! But it keep the mind occupied!
I am currently being made to practice when SWMBO is at work so the natural talent I convinced her I have hasn't materialised yet.

:lmao::lmao:

I am sure it will!! You could always say the more you can practice, the quicker the talent will appear! Or buy SWMBO some earplugs maybe...:cool:

Have you found some good instruction book/dvd etc for the stick dulcimer? I am looking but haven't found anything yet?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, those are way cool, and unusual, beats the run of the mill instruments.

I bought an unusual instrument at the car boot, its a Banjo-mandolin, with 8 strings.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Oh, those are way cool, and unusual, beats the run of the mill instruments.

I bought an unusual instrument at the car boot, its a Banjo-mandolin, with 8 strings.

That's not a instrument commonly played anymore I gather. It could have a bit of value on it if it's in good condition. Good find Tengu...goodjob

Really love the blade you have, looks sharp and solid, how does it perform?

I am very pleased with it, it's very sharp and confortable to hold despite the squarish handle and the rivets. I have warmed it up in the oven, scrubbed the wood with a wire brush which really brought the grain up nicely and dipped the handle in hot beeswax, that filled all the gaps between the blade and the handle (I have not used any glue). I have yet had the opportunity to use it much, but I think it will make a very good knife, I just need to get used to the 1/2 tang!

I like your work very much, you are very talented indeed!

Nigel
Thank you kind Sir!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE