A few of my current projects! *watch this space.*

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for the kind words, gents! :)

Now.. need some paint stripper and more wet n dry sand paper so I can crack on with some full tang handles!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Creative inspiration today had this one started and completed in one go! A rustic fine carving knife.

The materials: Small old file, scrap steel tube and some left over Holly wood.

.photobucket

Bad pictures due to light, phone and no camera skills.. lol

The blade needed tempering as it was too hard, should be just right now. All epoxied and fitted together and oiled up. I'll add a few more coats of oil so it can sink it in good and proper.

I'm confident this will make a fine little carver, thin bladed and razor sharp!

Thanks for watching.

Samon

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Another bout of creative desire had me cutting some steel. That fillet knife I've planned on making from the old saw! Lost the paper cut out of the original design but I had a look at the blade and penned on a new similar shape.

Then all cut out..

Cleaned up the cuts..

And drilled the handle for pins and a lanyard tube.

If I have time tomorrow I will put an edge on it and source some material for the handle.

Also.. as I tend to try to never waste usable things (without being a hoarder) I reckon the saw handle once reshaped somewhat will be usable as a knfie handle! I think it's pine and it's pretty dry, but a good soak of some oils and a thorough waxing will make it good imo. Fells like a pistol grip lol. :D

Also +1.. I have these two large industrial mower blades a friend who works at a gold course gave me. About 4 mm thick and arm length.. I was thinking throwing knives, as the many holes make it a little difficult to get a good usable tool pattern out of. Anyone got any other ideas for them?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've decided I will be making a set of knives for a tool roll, a sort of bushcraft/hunting set.

Carving knife, fillet knife, skinning knife, belt knife, antler handled sharpeners and a small sewing kit in a leather tool roll with buckles. SHould keep me entertained for some time.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just a quick picture of the handless projects due some meat! :)

Should be getting enough material for thekm all soon. The stick tang choppers will be steel collared and contoured, the fullt angs pinned and shaped etc.

Stay tuned!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've got wood! ;)

Many thanks to a great member here, I am now fully stocked! :D

Cheers mate

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Quick session earlier had this skinning knife blade cut out and shaped. Simple cut job and a bit of tuning to the lines. Needs an edge ground in and scales but a simple and pretty useful no frills design purpose made to actual skin big stuff and not baton sticks!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Finihsed the skinning knife off earlier. Lovely pair of bottle shaped walnut scales and some brass pins. Good and sharp and perfect for big beasts in need of slicing.

All the other scales have been rough cut and drilled, ready for epoxying when I have time! Will get them all sorted asap, anyone who skins deer or big stuff give me a shout and I'll let you try the skinning knife! :)

Stay tuned!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
nice shape, I like this thread for the example of reuse of materials, decent tools produced from scrap or worn items... I hope it encourages others to have a go.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
thanks man, reusing old junk is kinda my hobby. I don't aspire to buy sheets of tool steel to slap on a jig and grind into 'go to' shapes or anyhting. I work with what I have and make what I want/need.

I've got the material to build my forge now so once I get that complete I can start beating some large files to shape!

I do hope people can be inspired from scrap to tool projects, they really are my favourite examples.

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
Pat on the back,some nice looking recycled pointy stuff,and they all look like they've been around forever when you've finished. I'm liking them a lot.
And its a shame your not closer to me I've got all sorts you could have had to make pointy etabby things

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Samon really enjoy this thread and it has lead me to try stuff/small tasks for myself, was wondering what tools you use for the repurposed knives and especially the handles.

Sent from somewhere in a galaxy far far away...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Samon really enjoy this thread and it has lead me to try stuff/small tasks for myself, was wondering what tools you use for the repurposed knives and especially the handles.

Sent from somewhere in a galaxy far far away...

My main tool is an angle grinder. A pack of thin cutting discs and a pack of sanding flap discs will get you started. I do have a belt grinder, but that's mainly for finer stuff.

You can do all your ctting, cleaning, sharpening and shaping with an angle grinder and for little money too.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Finally had time to play with my tools.. weather permitted so I cracked on with some simple stuff. Did not fancy knife handle shaping as it makes a cloud of dust! So axes it was.

Got this little beaut a while back, gona make a fine tomahawk type axe, take down head n all that. I set upon this one pretty quickly with my plan to remove the hammer poll and reshape the head. It currently has no edge or anything and is just the rough shaped blank. I'll do the rest once I've got the rust job sorted.

It's currently in a bath of vinegar, bleach and salt to get a really heavy patina/rust to form as I want it to look old. Gona tart up the handle too, maybe something like native american etc..

I had 4 other axe heads, all in rough, rusty shape. One being one a handle, but clearly just shoved on the end. All the edges were as fine as bricks and I gave them a spritz on the grinder to actually form an edge and to make them shiny. I had pictures of all of them before but my crap camera apparantly didn't save them?

Anyway, here's 3 of them (other needed loads of work and I'm lazy), the middle one seemed to be just about the right size for the handle that was shoved into the biggest and most wrecked head.

Few eyeballs at the handle, angle grinder at the ready and..

Maybe not quite that simple, usual on off job, reshape etc, also I gave it light lick with fire to bring out the grain and good dose of linseed oil while warm to seal the handle. Looks lovely imo, glad I didn't bother farting around with it.

Anyway, stay tuned!

(Message me if you're interested in anything you see, most will being going up for swaps eventually!)

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
Some tight cuts there for a grinder lol why I was wondering. Thin discs are about all I use now a days, great things lol

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Some tight cuts there for a grinder lol why I was wondering. Thin discs are about all I use now a days, great things lol

Tihgt cuts just mean more work.. take ages tbh, but worth it if you can make what you see beyond the steel start to happen.

I've got files, sanding drums for drills etc, but with patience and practice an angle grinder can do nearly everything to a high standard.

(make that angle grinder your biotch!)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Did some handles yesteday, finished them today.

Incase anyone is interested in how to create shapes in handles using only an angle grinder, it goes something like this.

Trim away all the excess material from your handle scales once fitted, Draw one the desired shape on the belly on the handle and push the grinder into the material until you reach your line. Then just finish by hand to get all the marks, uneven lines etc all flush and symetrical. The handle pins will grind alot slower than the material, so focus on them gently for a little while longer, being sure not to cut into anything else na dmaking pits or voids.

Did that method will all the handles and finished them with strips of sanding belts and then the mighty sanding sponge! (sanding sponges are really really good, get a load!)

The fillet knife, being the tool that's likely to be the most filthy from time to time will not be getting a standard oiled handle. I've coated in epoxy, that once dried will be re epoxied, dried and then sanded gently to remove any bubbles, bumps et.

Oil sure makes a difference to the end product. ;)

Thanks for reading!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE