A few of my current projects! *watch this space.*

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Got the scales cut a little more and expoxied! Might have it finished tomorrow.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Man that chefs knife is lookin to be a fine user. I may have missed has she taken an edge yet? Got an old saw I'm toying to try something with

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The kitchen knife is done!

I finished the handle today, then coated it in super glue as its yew . infact it had two tubes of glue as I don't think yew is food safe. I can be pretty sure it is now though.

I gave the blade a sanding with some wet n dr and a quick buff and then an oiling. I also sanded the handle and gave it an oil. Followed by a sharpening, it now shaves arm hairs very nicely and the steel is perfectly sound ! I'm working tomorrow so I'll pick up a bunch more saws and get a fillet knife cut out.

The bayonet is on hold untilli get some decent hacksaw blades..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks mate, I'm pleased with it. Lol it doesn't fit in my knife block though!

Looks like I need one of those magnetic knife holder things..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks guys! And yes, a knife block is on my to do list!!

I got this today at a local place I help out at for 75p. I refurbish tools and stuff there and they have an abundance of things a wombler like me can make use off.

Its Canadian I think, I have had one like this in the past that was in better nic and it was Canadian. The tteth are blunt, although sharownable I will turn this old girl into so knives. Deffinately a fillet knife and a chef knife are visible here!

Stay tuned for tomorrow, if I have time I'll get cracking.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I was stricken with man flu yesterday so I don't do anything but moan and order everyone around..

But while testing my lamp i figured I draw out the fillet knife on some paper in preperation for when i have time to cut and grind!

I don't do much filleting but I know roughly what one should look like and what id need from a good knife to do it well. The flexible and thin steel will be pretty decent for this type of knife. And although my handle will be smaller than w noraml knife I figure you won't be needing such a solid grip when filleting a fish!

I also went for an upswept tip as belly is always good when working with meat and a finer touch.

What do you fisherman/readers think?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

I cut the extra tang into the blade so now its a full handle stick tang. I've decided I'll do a leather stacked handle with a brass bolster and butt plate, maybe with a skull spike.. Maybe..

I really need some brass flat bar. Hmm..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Not really done much with the bayonet blade.. Kinda brushed it under the carpet for another time as its a little fiddly getting the bottom of the blade perfectly square for the guard..

Anywhoo! I was super bored earlier while waiting for a package to turn up and started on the billhook/Bowie!

Few snips here and a few brushes there...

Some cool looking pitted steel under all that grime and rust imbued paint! I cleaned up the tand, cut the clip out and shaped the edge. No grind on it yet but my package arrived just as I started typing! An actual belt grinder! Not just some repurposed old crap that I substitute with all the time. Lol

So I'll get it full convexed soonish and find a long piece of wood for the handle as I'm going for a one and a half grip! Big old chopper style, and I'll be using the hook bit I cut off as the guard!

What do you reckon?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've free hand ground the general edge profile on that bowie ñow, ive penned on some bits I want to grind away to tighten it all up and get a better shape to the clip etc. Ill take it to the grinder tomorrow if its dry!

Started to rain earlier but i had a few minutes once I got in to remove the handles off of my two newly acquired tools, te monster cleaver and the kindling chopper.

I used a tent peg to hammer the handle pins out as I wanted to keep the scales but one cracked.. Lol

Same with the kindling chopper, but I had to grind the peened tand down first before I could punch the tang out!

I'll put an edge on the war criminals cleaver, lightly sand any bad rust off and rehandle it in something simple as not to detract from itsmoriginal look. I'll likely scortch the wood to keep them dark like the originals and use brass pins.

As for the chopper, I intend to reshape the tang so it can fit all the way into a new handle and sit more flush. My intention for this one is to straighten up all the lines, reprofile it and then fit a nice handle so its like a camp chopper instead of an unloved old doll. I'll dig out some bits and probably make a bolster and an end cap for it too, because that'll look nice I reckon!

Stay tuned!

(If I had more than an open topped alley way for garden in could have a shed and actually have dry room to work in lol! Shame I'm poor..)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So I'll get it full convexed soonish and find a long piece of wood for the handle as I'm going for a one and a half grip! Big old chopper style, and I'll be using the hook bit I cut off as the guard!

What do you reckon?
Is good Mr Samon, what's a one and a half handle? One and a half the length of the blade, it'll come in handy if your using it as a hook !

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
A one and a half grip/handle is something used in medium sized swords. Its a handle length that is mainlynused for one handed holds but with just enough to double up if you want to cut a bear in half. On a knife its kind of for show but will also help it chop.

And as knives aren't made to chop, any extra length will aid it do so!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
A one and a half grip/handle is something used in medium sized swords. Its a handle length that is mainlynused for one handed holds but with just enough to double up if you want to cut a bear in half. On a knife its kind of for show but will also help it chop.

And as knives aren't made to chop, any extra length will aid it do so!

A longer handle is easier on the wrist, if you will permit, allows the length of the blade a better control, try as longer handle as blade. Anyway if your putting a hook on it a longer handle will be useful.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah that extra handle will help with chopping and as I've recently forged the tang at an angle to make the blade face forward in the hand, this will also help with chopping.

I've also ground the edge back to counter the original chisel grind and reduced the tip. I still need to round the clip belly and grind in the false clip..and reheat treat the entire blade.. And make the bolster.. And handle lol

Also got a little done on the kindling chopper. I've reshaped the blade, reground it convex and shaped the tang better. It will be a baton knife when its done!

And for the sake of it I dug out one of my many rusted old files and made a stick tang blade. Should be a nice little traditional styled knife when I'm done. I'll use holly wood and copper bolsters for that one.

Damn weathers been a right knobber, but with any luck I'll get some dryy time to pull out the troops and get some tuning to certain bitts of each one done before a long to!e handling all of them plus the others! Lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE