A fantastic garden moment...Little Owls!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have barn owls nesting one field beyond the house and infrequent tawny owls, but we have been trying for a while to encourage Lincolnshires prettiest hunting birds into the garden - so today was a happy moment - even if they do seem to prefer a garden chair to the owl boxes!

Little Owl by British Red, on Flickr

P

Passer

What a great garden tick.
You must be be thrilled, congrats.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What a beauty! A fantastic garden moment indeed..............Don't seem to to see or hear the little 'uns down here these past couple of years.........Well done!....atb mac

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely things huh? They certainly hunt here as we have heard them - but I wanted to see one properly - and get them to nest too! Still have to get one nesting though :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm very envious! They're glorious little things. We used to have them here 10 years ago then they disappeared, not sure why although we do live in the middle of an industrial farm but they'd been around for ages before that according to everyone. I do hope yours nest. And it's a fab pic :cool:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D and apparantly they're happy enough around humans so you might well get your wish :)

There are Barn and Tawny owls in the woods here, but I thought the (introduced) little owl preferred parkland ?

cheers,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
We have little owls by us. And some also nest in the barns were the horses are stabled too. I've examined their pellets in detail. They seem to be mostly insectivorous around here, with the occasional bat and shrew taken.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given I have been clearing a lot of weed trees and doing sundry other restoration and improvement work it was time to do some work to encourage our feathered friends. I have re-positioned the owl boxes in the garden and cut some new flight paths...time will tell if we succeed

Tawny Owl Box by British Red, on Flickr

Little Owl Box by British Red, on Flickr

Barn Owl Box by British Red, on Flickr

Here's hoping!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
http://www.owls.org/Archive/feathersfly.htm

These chaps are brilliant! Seen them a few times - most impressive!

That's one for me to envy - I've flown eagle owls from the glove, but never seen a wild one :(

We think we have sussed the Little owl nest site - they have returned to our garden on several occasions now and the nest site is close. On one particularly noteworthy evening the Little Owl was perched in an ash quite unperturbed as a barn owl quartered the paddock. I count that as a magic moment!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Lovely bird boxes BR but the Barn owl one does seem a liitle exposed for these secretive creatures & in full sun which will cook any eventual chicks. :)You may get more success if you hang it high on the North face of a building.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's a good point - it'll cover over soon though - that tree has just been reduced by a third in height and has almost no canopy. Hopefully the new canopy will form around it - although some judicious shaping may be needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE