A family winterwalk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Nothing spectacular, but appearantly the bushbug has bitten my wife too, now... And even my son enjoyed himself (he's usually more into Lego, Star Wars, Xbox, those sort of things...) He didn't even protest or argue once, today!

So, off to the forrest we went. It was a beautiful sunny and warm day with max. temperatures of about freezing with even some thaw in the sun!
By the lake however the wind did make it feel a little chilly sometimes.
We went in quite early, but also had to leave a little earlier than expected, because the unexpectedly thawing snow made the clothing of our youngster wet and she got cold..... And than the fun is over quite quickly!

First a couple of morningwalkpics....

DSC06610.jpg

DSC06611.jpg

DSC06614.jpg

DSC06616.jpg

Yes... they were really going!
DSC06618.jpg

DSC06626.jpg

First time on the ice. Even she had that weird feeling I described in my last thread, when walking on it....

DSC06619.jpg

DSC06623.jpg

DSC06626.jpg

My troop;
DSC06627.jpg

And Mss. keeping an eye on us....
DSC06629.jpg

DSC06632.jpg

The Mss. had some fun while I was preparing the fire....
And our youngster??

DSC06635.jpg

Well, she just wrote her name..

DSC06637.jpg

We chose an existing place to prepare our food and hot drinks;

The people who used it befor us left a stack of chopped and dried wood under one of the benches, so I used that. I returned the favor by taking down a small birch, chopped that up and left it for the people who come in after us.

DSC06639.jpg

I was asked about my tinderbox in my previous thread, so some detailed pictures of it;

It actually is a birchbark covered wooden frame.

DSC06641.jpg

DSC06642.jpg

DSC06644.jpg

Another very first for us: pinbröd or bread on a stick. My wife prepared the dough at home, a basic mix of flour, backing sode, milk, salt, raisins and chopped nuts. And it was good!!!!

DSC06646.jpg

First some warm bread.....

DSC06647.jpg

and than a good sip of hot chocolatemilk!

DSC06648.jpg

An "idyllic" picture....

DSC06651.jpg

Me... hungry!!

DSC06652.jpg

And a nice cup of coffee, thank you very much....

DSC06653.jpg

DSC06655.jpg

DSC06657.jpg

DSC06658.jpg

There were angels here.... honestly!

DSC06660.jpg

what can I say....

DSC06663.jpg

DSC06665.jpg

She just loves to climb rocks! She always finds one, where ever she goes....

DSC06668.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
another great day out mate. be careful though, if this keeps up you'll never get any quiet time in the woods again:)

stuart

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Great pictures Ron! I wish i had the access to wilderness like that, thats for sure!!! It looks beautiful! Love the Knife too, what is it my the way..? looks able to do the work!!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks people!
It really was qualitytime!

I forgot to mention that I used my firesteel to get the fire going. Instead of the birchbark catching a spark, which it didn't, the old and frozen charcoal chunks did! Within a strike or 2 I could blow these with the bark into a flame. I was quite surprised at that...
I also noted that all the large anthills around the lakeside had their southsides snowfree and only yesterday did the max. temperature reach the 0-degreemark for the first time in weeks! These little creatures appearently have their heatingbusiness sorted.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks again!

To avoid any strange thoughts.... the 2 footpowdertine in one of the pictures contain sugar and coffee!
And I do prefer to have a wooden kuksa over the plastic version; keeps the coffee a lot warmer for a longer time!
The "woolen" thinsulate gloves without fingertips are nice for temperatures like the ones we had as long as you keep using your fingers. If the temperature drops to -5 for instance, I'd switch to mittens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE