A DIY metal cutting tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have always struggled to cut metal in the past. I have hacksaws and a grinder but when I want to cut something too big for the saw and too small for the grinder I have problems. I would love a proper metal cutting bandsaw but I don't have either the funds or space! So my old grey cells got to thinking of a solution!

Table saws work well for wood so how about a mini grinder powered metal table saw?

Anyway I built a table that bolts onto my grinder securely and with a bit to hold it in the vice. I'm using 1mm blades and the rotation is towards me like in all circular saws.

I just tested it out on small bolts and flat stock and so far so good! BUT can anyone see any safety issues with this machine? I do use proper PPE gear.

de03fc589c8bbda6435267dc5b2bed5b_zps3dc1f0ba.jpg

7a1edfcd2ec13e19ba423045e70f1afa_zpsdda212b0.jpg

87518e7e4bc8f31a39356ea138af4e94_zpsc4a4a9b8.jpg

709665b290d78de0be3c8fa057cce576_zpsc792a5b9.jpg

Critique please?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Um - when the wheel wears and cracks, the breaking off bit (or thick scurf from the piece being cut) will jam between wheel and 'table'. Likely result is the wheel suddenly catastrophically disintegrating.

Wouldn't fancy using it myself.

What do you mean by 'too big for hacksaw, too small for grinder'?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
When a bit of metal will take ages or is too hard to cut with a hacksaw but is a bit small to grip firmly using the grinder. Will watch out carefully for jamming!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Get better hacksaw blades.

Seriously. I had some scaffold pole that was really hard on the surface, my blades just skated off. Someone sold me some good bahco blades and they went through that pole like a hot knife through butter.

The problem with the jamming is that it happens so fast the first thing you will notice is the bang and the pain as bits of disintegrating blade hit you. I cut bolts with a grinder when I'm too lazy to use the hacksaw - you don't need to hold them that firmly, just no pressure and keep the blade straight in the cut.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking at this picture you have very minimal clearance on the sides of the blade. I'd personally do the following

1. get really good quality hacksaw blades as they're a lot safer to use

2. Install an emergency safety switch like this on the side you're working from rather than having to reach over the machine.

3. fit a guard as suggested before you use it any more.

4. Get a full face shield like this and a thick apron

5. Make sure you use good quality gloves at all times whilst using it

6. if you intend to carry on using the grinder widen the slit of the blade by at least a millimeter or 2 on each side to lessen the chance of it jamming

87518e7e4bc8f31a39356ea138af4e94_zpsc4a4a9b8.jpg

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
as above, good saw blades, thin cutting discs, a vice, and a steady hand

I work with steel almost everyday and gotta say i'v never wished for something inbetween a 4 1/2" grinder and a 12" hacksaw
Heavy 2" equal angle iron only takes a minute to cut with a decent hacksaw

Bandsaws are good. But as you say big and expensive....for an alternative have a look at the "evolution rage" range of chopsaws
I'v got the mitre saw and normal circ, they are great bits of kit

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Looks well dodgy too me mate not trying be negative n only thinking of ter health.those grinding discs can shread at anytime.a full protective screen I think would be in order and that's not even gonna protect your hands.ive actually done something very similar with a circular saw n a peice of plywood in the past too rip down lengths of timber.be careful mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks for the good advice chaps! I have already widened the slot after I took the pics as one side was touching, got about a mm both sides now.

I wasn't aware these blades could just shatter! It's the first time I have used the 1mm blades, usually use the 3mm version.

I wear safety glasses and do have a full face shield. Got welders gloves but no apron yet. Also the emergency switch is a good idea and I have one spare as it goes!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know damn all about cutting metal, I have an Evolution rage sliding chop saw, a couple of angle grinders and some hacksaws. I just use em as they come.

I am impressed with the ingenuity of your mini table saw though and wanted to salute the imagination :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thanks for the good advice chaps! I have already widened the slot after I took the pics as one side was touching, got about a mm both sides now.

I wasn't aware these blades could just shatter! It's the first time I have used the 1mm blades, usually use the 3mm version.

I wear safety glasses and do have a full face shield. Got welders gloves but no apron yet. Also the emergency switch is a good idea and I have one spare as it goes!

Any grinding or cutting disc can shatter. The 1mm or 0.8mm thickness are the only ones i use, they are brilliant but very delicate. On the plus side, when they do go theres a lot less material flying around.....still not good though

That a lie actually. I do keep some 3mm discs in for very rough jobs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE