A different Hugh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Just read the review of "The River Cottage Cookbook" and how it fits into bushcraft and it reminded me that the first time I saw Mr Fearnley-Whittingstall (destined for celebrity on name alone, I thought) was a few years ago, a programme called "A Cook on the Wild Side." I think. Don't have a telly myself, so I only saw a few episodes and may be misremembering the title. Anyway, this was very much a bush tucker series and I was wondering if anyone knows of a book related to it.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yep... Channel 4 published 'A cook on the wild side' book based on the TV programme. Its quite hard to get, I think its out of print but I'm not sure. Let the search commence :-D
If anyone finds a place to buy it, please post here..... My mum wont let me have her copy :evil:

Ed

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Heavens, there is such a book... Coch-y-Bonddu Books is selling a copy for thirty quid. Bit much for a browse, I think. I'll keep searching.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
That's the one. I think he had a sort of fold-out kitchen in the back and I seem to recall a boat on the roof, or was it a tent? Hm, probably not a good idea to go boating with me until I learn the difference...

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I managed to find a copy of it in one of the remaindered-type bookshops (may have been County Bookstores?) a couple of years ago. Sorry, mine is not up for grabs.

There is a lot of stuff duplicated in the River Cottage Cookbook, although a) less on foraging and b) much less detail on hunting, IIRC.

Peter

Kev P

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 12, 2003
Beds
There were 2 series of"cook on the wild side". In the first Hugh travelled in the Land Rover and the second on an old canal boat called the "Bain Marie". Both series are sometimes repeated on Discovery Home and Leisure if youve Sky or cable.
I bumbed into at the Good Food Show last year "thoroughly nice guy"!!
:wink:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Thanks for the link, Tone. I was immediately delighted to read Hugh's view of Dr. Atkins, worth visiting the site for regardless of the rest of the content.

S

sez

Look out for a book called 'Soul Food', I forget the woman who wrote it, it's not anything to do with bushcraft, but she has a chapter called 'If it Moves, Shoot It' ( :mrgreen:)where she gives Soul Food recipes for all sorts, some of which you are unlikely to find outside the Mississippi delta , but I think I remember a recipe for squirrel there - it's been a while since I took it out of the library.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE