A decent sharpener to carry in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

norfolkjohn

Tenderfoot
Aug 21, 2010
norwich norfolk
The search is on ! ! I am looking for a really good sharpener (pocket sized to carry in the field) diamond or ceramic
i am no expert but i am sure someone out there can Recommend what to get.
Am not looking to spend a vast amount of money.
but one that puts a good edge.
Any advice appreciated.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
DMT sharpmaker Dia fold if you have some cash to splash
Gatco ceramic (or Diamond if you can find it) tri-seps if you're on a budget.

Benefit of the gatco is it will do serrations, points and hooks too.

M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd say DC4 but new ones are supposed to be naff, it's looking like the DMT or one of the mini wetstone sets on here

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
You say pocket size but what about the Lansky turn box 2 or 4 rod sharpeners.

They would fit in a large jacket pocket and have the advantage of the preset angles.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i just use cheepey shop dimond hones/stones, " 1 1/2 by 3 1/2 " does the job for me and only £1.99 for 2, no bother if you mislay one now or then....

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Agreed with Lannyman, for something that's going to get lugged about in your pack, dropped in the mud, lost in a stream etc. get a small, light, cheap stone. Or pick one up off the ground when you get there.

birdbrain57

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2010
sunderland
Has anyone tried the DMT minisharp from heinnie haynes. According to the first customer review they are bigger than they look in the picture and are less than halfthe price of the diafold.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Has anyone tried the DMT minisharp from heinnie haynes. According to the first customer review they are bigger than they look in the picture and are less than halfthe price of the diafold.

If money is a problem then I recommend the Gatco Tri-Seps. I've managed to get all my knives to shaves sharp with my ceramic.
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Gatco_Tr...urrency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=168471

There is also a diamond version available for the impatient.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Last edited:

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I use a DC4 that I've had for years, shame that the new versions don't have a good reputation as it's such a useful little package. They do crop up second hand from time to time though.

I even use the DC4 at home for the kitchen knives when I can't be bothered to get the Sharpmaker out, then finish on a fine ceramic kitchen 'steel.'

~Patrick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE