A day out with my youngest(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, Well the weather has been so nice, yesterday me and the youngest daughter decided to head out to the woods for the day.
We had brought along some Chicken, Tomatoes and an Onion, also some flat breads.
When we arrived we cut a couple of shoots off a downed Willow, after scraping the outer bark off Sophie took off the inner bark for cordage.

satw2.jpg

After that she lit the fire, and I used some of the bark to bind the top of three dead branches, for our tri pod.
Sophie with her fire.

satw4.jpg

Now that the fire was lit it was time to pop the billie over it, so we could have a brew.

satw5.jpg

Whilst waiting for it to boil, we whittled the ends of the stripped Willow shoots for skewers, Sophie prepped the Chicken and I cut the Toms, and Onion. Next we made up our kebabs , by now the water had boiled so we had a brew.

satw.jpg

Next we put the kebabs on to cook.

satw1.jpg

Me waiting eagerly for them to cook.

satw8.jpg

We had also collected some Common Sorrel, so we stuffed a Chicken fillet with it, and wrapped it in Docken leaves, then used some of the Willow bark to tie it up, next into the embers of the fire.

The kebabs were ready, so we toasted the flat breads on the embers, then the kebabs put on top with a little bit of Thai sweet chilli sauce, and scoffed in short order.
Sorry no pics of them as they were gone before we thought of taking one!

But we did get one of the Chicken cooked under the embers.

satw3.jpg

We also had a little visitor to our spot.

satw6.jpg

satw7.jpg

Well it was a grand day spent outdoors for me and the youngest.
I hope you like the pics.
Cheers Stuart.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Great pics, looks like a fun day out. Nice spot, haven't got a spot like it where can have a fire like you.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Great pics and a nice account of your day. btw, did you wedge the kebabs between a piece of wood and the stones or are they leaning on something?

Nightfly

On a new journey
Dec 22, 2010
ANC
Glad your 7th picture isn't below the last two :)
Looks like you had a great day out with your daughter, thanks for sharing.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's 9.27am here in France I've eaten my breakfast cereal 40mins ago and all I want to eat now is a chicken kebab. Talk about a mouth wateringly good read! It's almost gastronomic torture!

Glad you had sucha good day out with your daughter.

Did chuckle at Nightfly's posting above. Mouse kebab anyone?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks like a good day out there Stuart :approve:

Cute wee moose, and Sophie's fair growing up into a very capable young lady :D

Thanks for sharing,
M

garyford

Dec 2, 2007
musselburgh
Hi Stuart, just as Marry said looked a good day out.Was it back at wooplaw,i think me and vince will have to go come back again soon,good place to chill oot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE