A day at the smithy...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I spent a day with some mates at a localblacksmith's. The guy who organised it requested to make something bushcrafty, instead of the obligatory coathanger. Well we made some hangers, but that was just to get things started. I ended up with a Keltic style knife.

e6ujudyj.jpg

And here the coathangers.

yzaba5yb.jpg

All in all a very interesting and enjoyable day out with some mates. And a rusult to show the missus for a change!

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks for the compliments! This was my first time smithing and it was easier then i thought it would be. I've learned a lot and i'm thinking of building a bucket-forge to have a go on my own. The style of knive is more usually known as a Viking knife.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Nice one Dude!
BTW, Was this a freebie or did the Smithy charge?
The reason I ask is as I've thought of holding something similar this way and have no idea what to charge for gas, coke, etc.
Did he supply a lunch?

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
The whole day, from 8o'clock till half past 4, cost us €125,- p.p. That would be something like £80 i'd guestimate. That's including tea, coffee, sarnies and soup. There were four of us, there wasn't any room for more people, since he had two forge fires and four anvills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE