A Chilly, Clear Afternoon on Derwentwater.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I was woken up this morning by Li’l Cumbrian #1, and by half eight he’d been fed and watered and I had the chance to get packed up. At nine o’clock I went out for some bread, but it took ten minutes to defrost the car, and by the time I set off, the thermometer on the car said that it was -8° C. Although I live in a dip which is a bit of a frost hollow, I was surprised at this. Even so, when I got to the top of the hill about 100m from my house, it was still only -6° C. I took these pics looking east, towards the Lake District.

Skiddaw:
IMGP4264.jpg

Grassmoor:
IMGP4267.jpg

When I got home, the planned walk through the village with Nathan ( two weeks old today ) was postponed slightly due to the temperature, so I didn’t get away for my paddle as early as I’d hoped. However, we had a nice walk once the temperature had risen slightly ( but still below freezing ), feeding the hungry looking ducks at the ford and giving Evan the opportunity to run his hands through the frosty grass, break icicles and have several outdoor wees.

By the time that we got back from our stroll and sorted the kids out it was getting quite late, so I grabbed my paddling gear and set off for Derwentwater. My canoe was frosted to the racks, and the frost inside didn't melt at all through the afternoon. The usual place that I launch from was frozen:

IMGP4269.jpg

but I found some open water at the end of the marina and set off from there. Because of my late start, I didn't get on the water till 2:15. A few years ago, I went for a paddle after several days of hard frost and found the lake frozen to 50m offshore, so I turned around, went home for my ice climbing gear and climbed the waterfall at the top of Newlands Pass instead. It's rare that this happens though, but I often think of the Canadian paddlers who can't get out in their canoes till break up.

Conditions were perfect, hardly a breath of wind:

IMGP4276-1.jpg

and due to my late start, I decided not to do a full circuit of the lake, but just paddle around the northern islands. I found some more ice near the creepy old boathouse:

IMGP4286.jpg

and then went St Herbert's for a late lunch and a brew. I tried out my new Swanndri shirt here, and in the windless conditions it worked a treat.

IMGP4306.jpg

IMGP4308.jpg

IMGP4318.jpg

Having eaten and drank my fill, I doused my fire, packed up and set off around Rampsholme Island.

Rounding Rampsholme and looking to Blencathra:

IMGP4334.jpg

Gratuitous fat bloke shot:

IMGP4342.jpg

Skiddaw:

IMGP4362.jpg

When I reached Lord's Island, it was iced up between it and the shore. However, there was a refrozen lead where someone had been through previously, so I decided to give it a go.

IMGP4364.jpg

Looking back:

IMGP4365.jpg

Nearing the end:

IMGP4370.jpg

I continued north past Derwent Island, Friar's Crag and Isthmus Bay, taking these on the way:

IMGP4371.jpg

IMGP4385.jpg

IMGP4403.jpg

When I got back to my car and switched the engine on, it showed -2° C, and I don't think that it got above freezing all day. Even though I'd had a great afternoon and would have loved to have stayed out overnight, it did feel good to get home in front of the woodburner.

Hope you enjoy, Michael.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Lovely pictures mate - I've just been outside and it's wickedly cold here!

One question from someone who knows nothing about what you've been doing, but aren't you frightened of going in, I would have thought at such low temperatures you might have well been floating on acid for the time you would survive! Scares the pants of me :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Brilliant pics, mate. Looks like that neck of the woods is lovely. I'm a tad jealous of you living there.. :D

Nag.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Great pics mate . I thought I was the only one with a rescue knife on my pfd , nice to see there are more belt & braces guys out there :)
Im off for 2 weeks over christmas so hopefully get some boating in myself .
Nice to see you wernt put off by the temp outside . keepin it real :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Inspirational stuff, I need to get out, i've not even got the excuse of not having a canoe, although it is a bit big just for me.

Thanks for taking the time to show us :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE