A bushcraft dog????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Here's FRODO, my new bundle of mischief

doodles.jpg

Cross between a flat coated retreiver and a border collie :D

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
moocher said:
i would myself like a husky or husky x as least it would be able to travel distances and withstand the british weather

What with the climate getting warmer or certainly the summers getting hotter and drier, I am told by others at our club that it's actually becoming harder for their huskies to cope in the summer. Sure they are much more than capable of handling our timid (to them) winter but you gotta be careful not to over heat them in the summer.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
bambodoggy said:
What with the climate getting warmer or certainly the summers getting hotter and drier, I am told by others at our club that it's actually becoming harder for their huskies to cope in the summer. Sure they are much more than capable of handling our timid (to them) winter but you gotta be careful not to over heat them in the summer.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

my huskies cope fine in the summer remember they are siberian huskies and a siberian summer is far from cold but you are right in a sense they like any other dog need a good suply of water.our husky family has just increased we have 3 and the one has just had 6 pups so we are keeping 2 back so 5 huskies.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
i was thinking more about the siberian,than the alaskan malamute?forgive spelling .a lady down the road has the malamutes and they always look uncomftable in the summer but look ok now.they have thick coats and the big male she has makes our rotty look small,and shes about 8-9 stone.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a staffordshire bull terrier which is 12 years old, in its younger days it was so athletic and scatty, a very strong dog and very protective of kids
leon

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
I have thought about this seriously and own a russian black terrier
img_08172.jpg

But I would not recomend him for the following reasons: his defensive temprament is to big a liability to be a social bushcraft dog. He looks deceptively friendly and this attracts people to him, quite a problem when he as a breed is mistrusting of strangers. He can carry a lot of weight cope with any climate and has legendary endurance. He is just not social. If all of your bushcraft is to be done on your own get one, but only if you can handle one.

In hindsite which I have a Phd in I would get one of two dogs for bushcraft:

Airdale: great swimmer, best canoe dog on planet. Do not molt in home. Can backpack and carry own gear, big enough to be a deterant, small enough to carry if all goes pearshaped etc. Did you know that this dog is used as a gundog in many parts of the world, used to be the British police dog before the world wars and is one of the most underrated dogs around.

or

Norwegian Elkhound: not needing as much exercise as husky, has the wild look about it, great hunter, can backpack, etc

Look into them as a consideration

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Buckley8219 said:
Hi guys,

I am looking to get a dog, I wanted one for years, and now that I have some free time to walk and train I have decided to get one in the new year.

I was thinking of getting a beagle, as I have always been fond of them. But I have heard that I will have problems with them running off and following scents etc.

Can you guys recomend, an intelligent, fun and social dog that would be a lifelong friend, that could to take out camping etc???

Well I suppose everyone will champion their own breed of dog and I'm no different. Whippets for me. Lovely temperament, very intelligent, good companions. My 2 are great hunters and regularly catch rabbits or squirrels working as a team. One will flush the animal out (Mahya) to where the other is waiting for it (Lily) There's a picture in the gallery of my 2.
Lily I'm happy to report has improved slightly after her stroke and the 'happy pills' seem to be doing the trick. She's still a bit wobbly and falls over sometimes still but she's getting there. :)

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Couldnt resisit the opertunity to show of my 2 hounds . First up is Cody , otherwise known as "the Bacon Hunter" . Captured in this pic trying desperately not to be seen on the sofa !
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

This is my new addition . She is a Dogue De Bordeaux , so should grow plenty big enough to have The Bacon Hunters pups in a few years . Her name is Lilly and i think she will be wearing the trousers and Cody will have his own SWMBO . :lmao:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

As for what dog you should get , depends on what breed you have a fancy for . I prefere big dogs , but then i will never get mine in my hammock with me ! A Jack russell is a good rabiter and will fit inside your jacket . New foundlands are excellent if you do a lot around water , they love to rescue people weather they are drowning or not . The single most important thing when choosing a dog is the amount of excercise it needs and weather you can fulfill its needs . Good luck in your search for a pup , but most importantly , enjoy it .
Pumbaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE