a bullroarer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
132970520_4dc2eb9e58.jpg

remember when crocodile dundee used one to call his mate? its a thing you spin over yer head and it maked the most earie sound. well today i made one from a chunk of mahogany , its a fairly easy thing to make ,i was suprised just how well it works , set all the dogs in the area off!!! :q28:

DSC01518.jpg

heres an intresting bit of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullroarer_(music)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's oval in cross section, is that right? Of no practical use to us whatsoever, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at one! I've had a play on one my mate brought back from Oz, which he was visiting for stores when he went out to East Timor a few years back with the Gurkhas. It was small but still made a good sound.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Does anyone here speak bullroarer? I've been looking for the rosetta stone cd everywhere :)
Gonna have to have a go at one of those just to see what the reaction will be from all the farmers in the middle of the night (of, course lots of beer to keep it swinging into the morning)
Heck, maybe even an automatic bullroarer hooked up to a motor?

BTW--- nice workmanship on that ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Mors made a few at the Moot this year and I've played with them before, they're fun and the results are directly in proportion to how much effort you put into swinging that baby about :D

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
I just had 2 copies of the bushcraft & survival magazine turn up. Issue 14, which i missed out on before, has a bit near the back about making bullroarers.

If yer interested?

Oh yep, would love to know how to make them.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
How spooky!

I've just got back from a weekend runing a 'bushcraft' base at swmbos Scout Group family camp, must have made at least 25 of the things :eek:

The kids loved them! - but not sure the parents were too impressed with being woken up with them this morning! :eek::lmao:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
ive just made a much bigger mahogany version its 12inches ,but realy isnt as loud as i thaght itd be! i went up on the neolithic hill fort of whitesheet hill and spun it as the sun set behind the wooded skyline , it was quite earie and it fealt like making a conection with ancestors.

any tips on making it louder or is it a case of making a 2 footer!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
ive just made a much bigger mahogany version its 12inches ,but realy isnt as loud as i thaght itd be! i went up on the neolithic hill fort of whitesheet hill and spun it as the sun set behind the wooded skyline , it was quite earie and it fealt like making a conection with ancestors.

any tips on making it louder or is it a case of making a 2 footer!

mahogany! nice! ;) - mine were all out of an old pallet

I think it is a combination of size, shape and thickness. a plain bit of plank with nothing done bar a hole for the cord worked (not well but it worked none the less)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
ive got one from aus nice sound but the first time i used it it wore a hole in my finger!!!

When I was on a course with Mors he demonstrated his bullroarer. He said you get a better effect if you connect the string to a stick then you can get it swinging much faster and increase the roar. He said to increase the sound you do it in a 'whipping' action and it certainly was loud as he did it.

Here he is in action
morsbullroarer.jpg

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ooohwell done Mes - I had forgotten I had this!

my.php

The man in action (if my link to a video works :rolleyes:)

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Someone suggested that bullroarers weren't very useful. I have heard several anecdotes of their use to scare off bull Moose and Grizzlies. Supposedly they are both terrified of the sound - pretty useful if you ask me!

Forest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE