A brass & leather viking sheath

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have been wanting to have a go at making one of those for a while now and I finally got around to doing it. It's a viking style leather sheath, with hand made brass fittings. I have given the fittings a hammered surface finish and and all the fittings are riveted into place with brass nails. I made the brass ring too, and the whole can be carried through the loop on the belt. I really like the contrast between the colour & texture of the leather and the yellow hammered brass fittings. Those vikings knew a thing or two about what looked good!

P1030328.jpg

P1030329.jpg

I am planning a tutorial for the next sheath I make like that and put it on my blog.

Thanks for looking.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
That is a really nice combo. May have to mimic that in an axe mask! Really love it, bet the brass will age well too. How do you cut the brass? And how thin is it?

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thank you gentlemen. I think it would work well for an axe cover. The brass is 0.4mm thick. I used a pair of steel cutting shears I have, but I tried to cut it with a big old pair of scissors and although not as easy as the shears, it did cut it too. I got the brass from a shop selling stuff for modelmakers & there is some on Ebay too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE