a bit of kolrossing.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
been messing about doing some kolrossing with my new kolrossing knife,in some ways it is a similar thing to scrimshaw,the wood needs to be prepared by sanding fine or scraping with broken glass,this will hopefully leave a smooth surface onto which you can incise a pattern or design,next you fill the cuts with something to make them stand out,here i have used coffee rubbed in but traditionally the inner bark of birch is made into dust,once the powder is in the cuts a bit of oil is wiped over ,this brings out the colour well,wipe off the excess oil and then burnish,i use a bit of Montana ivory.
kolrossing practice by fishfish_01, on Flickr

Warning this gets quite addictive,i am running out of treen to practice on!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
They look great! I've been toying with the idea of kolrossing the axe haft , but I need to practice more first I think.
Great inspiration, thanks for sharing! 👍👍

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very nice, fishfish. A decorative carving style that I've always admired.
Maybe a Pfeil kolrossing knife? I read that some carvers use cinnamon.
I don't think that I would even be able to draft a useful pattern.
Leshy: go for it. Practice on pastry pins from the charity shops.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Leshy: go for it. Practice on pastry pins from the charity shops.

Great idea RV, I will. I've been ruining swmbo 's wooden spoons for a while 😏 but I definitely got the bug.
You're right about the cinnamon, that's what I've been using after reading Ravenlore's (Gary "Wayland") post on it, It works a treat and smells lovely too..
👍

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Great work; never heard of it before - always thought it came under scrimshawing. What are you using for the incising FF? Not sure my hands are steady enough but I've definitely earmarked this for practice. It might be awhile before I pluck up the courage to mark up any axe hafts!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Can I re-ask the earlier question please? What tool are you using to mark out the pattern? Your work looks great and I'm keen to have a go!
Picture #3 particularly better shows a very small blade on a long handle,
Like a small craft blade not much different from a stanley blade except size and thickness....
I think that's the tool...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thoth: Google 'kolrosing knife." As Leshy said, it's a small skew blade on a long handle.
I'll guess that you will have to learn to hone on a strop as the leading point must need to be sticky-sharp.

Most of the major wood carving tool companies make one (Ashley Iles, Henry Taylor, Pfeil, Stubai, manybe even Arioux.)
I had a couple of Pfeil, got in a tool lot consignment. Not interested in the technique and unsteady hands so I sold them on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE