a bit of advice for a newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Helen Back

Jan 1, 2010
Stockport
Hello everyone

I'm new to Bushcraft and this forum thing so please go easy. I’m on tour next month and I was wondering if you nice people might be able to give me some advice, please..

a) I bought a sleeping mat and it’s 68cm x 190cm. Does anyone know of a Bivvy large enough to fit the mat and me? The British Army one is too small. Or is it better to use just the bivvy and sleeping bag and sleep on top of the mat?

b) snow shovel – I’m supposed to get a Black Diamond Transfer 7 Shovel – anyone got one for sale, know where I can buy it cheap, or get something similar?

c) rucksack – I’m in the market for a Sabre 75 rucksack and side pockets – I’ve found it for about £160 new – is that a good price or are there better choices out there?

d) and finally.. how do these stuff sacks work? So you put all your gear in separate sacks – how many would you take for a one week trip?

Thanks a lot for your time – maybe one day I’ll be able to pass on my new found knowledge to others :)

Dean

p.s. thank you for the previous posts too – I used them to get this far - the starting line!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi Dean

Where are you headed?

There are as many ideas on the best approach to almost every subject as there are members. :rolleyes:

I tend to be a bit precious with my bivvy bags and want to protect them so normally use a closed cell foam mat to lay the bag on prevents it getting punctured and therefore leaking.

Is your sleeping map the self inflating type? The British Army bivvy bags are normally fairly roomy. My rab bivvy is tiny by comparison.

Stuff sacks help you organise your gear. Its a pain having to enpty your kit on the wet muddy ground to find your essential kit. How many and what size depends very much on what you are planning on taking with you.

I always make sure I have a dry bag for sleeping bag and clothes. Nothing worse than a couple of nights in a wet sleeping bag.

Helen Back

Jan 1, 2010
Stockport
Hi Wayne

I'm off to Kiruna, Sweden - it's an organised trip.

fair point about the bivvy since it's the last line of waterproofing, and more expensive than the mat (£25 on sale) - I was just a bit worried about rolling over in the night and my arm touching the ice - but maybe it's better to have a dry sleeping bag for a week than a dry mat that can be brushed off in the morning.

yes, it's self inflating - I bought it from Tamarach near Preston - it's not the most expensive but I trust it will stand up to the job (Multimat I think it's called)

Someone once said, spend your money on a nice pair of shoes and a nice bed - if you're not in one, you're probably in the other :D

Good advice - thanks,
Dean

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the new issue bags are different now aren't they ?

Go for one of the older "goretex" bags, they're huge and I'd be surprised if you don't fit yourself and all your gear in one.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi Wayne

I'm off to Kiruna, Sweden - it's an organised trip.

fair point about the bivvy since it's the last line of waterproofing, and more expensive than the mat (£25 on sale) - I was just a bit worried about rolling over in the night and my arm touching the ice - but maybe it's better to have a dry sleeping bag for a week than a dry mat that can be brushed off in the morning.

yes, it's self inflating - I bought it from Tamarach near Preston - it's not the most expensive but I trust it will stand up to the job (Multimat I think it's called)

Someone once said, spend your money on a nice pair of shoes and a nice bed - if you're not in one, you're probably in the other :D

Good advice - thanks,
Dean

Dean the Kiruna area is one of my favourite parts of Sweden. You will have a great time. It will be a bit chilly this time of year but hey no bugs.

Do not blow your sleeping mat up too full. The moisture in your breath is prone to freeze and you can split the mat.

make sure you keep a set of dry clothes for night time use in your bag.

Ensure you have decent circulation to your toes. ie not too many pairs of socks.

Stuarts post on winter wear is pretty sound advice.

Helen Back

Jan 1, 2010
Stockport
Shewie - thanks, I'll get myself down to the military surplus store in Manchester this weekend.

Wayne - more knowledge, thank you. A friend from work moved there a couple of years ago - I won't be meeting her but we still keep in touch - she tells me it's lovely up there. I can't wait! I'll be with the pro's this time but I'd like to get to a position where I could go alone - we could be talking about a steep learning curve here!!

is there anything I should be aware of when I hopefully meet the Sami's? i.e. culture, manners, etiquette

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
A small hot water bottle and a thermos flask. I'm not sure why, but I tend to sleep hot, then cool down and always wake up at 3/4am freezing. Fill a hot water bottle from a thermos, problem solved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE