A bit of a creepy find...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I'm not sure what to make of this. I was searching about near the river where I find some interesting old things washing up after floods and I found a folded up sheet of lead. Being lead I put it in the bag for recycling rather than leave it there to pollute the river. It was only when I got it home that I realised it has odd marks all around it and as far as I can tell they're rat teeth marks. Whatever was wrapped up in the lead is long gone but that rat really wanted to get at it by the looks of it. What I thought was dumped building materials might have contained something someone wanted hidden in the river but considered tasty to rats :nailbiting:
20210116-161927.jpg

20210116-161940.jpg

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Definitely gnawed by rats, had motorcycle helmet with similar pattern after leaving half kebab under it one night at a rally.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It's even possible that a rat just played with it.

Domesticated rats bite in all and everything they can reach in the house just to explore their world.
Such an unusual piece is interesting for a rat because it's rare.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I wonder if it was chewed before it ended up in the river? Some of the marks look quite fresh but it might have been buried I suppose. Do rats live long enough to get lead poisoning? I found a few sources on-line about teeth marks in lead musket balls which suggest lead has an appealing flavour :hungry:
https://jefpat.maryland.gov/Pages/m...-bit-the-bullet-let-slip-the-pigs-of-war.aspx
I also remembered that I found this ball on the beach a few years ago. It's make of a plastery material and it looks like a hopeful rat thought it might have been an egg.
2021-01-18-18-35-24.jpg

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE