A bit of a basket case

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Hi all

Got myself out this weekend and learned how to make a basket. Knowing the ribbing I'll get at work if I went round proud as punch about my first effort, I thought I'd be better off sharing with like minded fools (in the nicest possible terms).

Anyway, here's my first basket.

basket2.jpg

basket1.jpg

Jack

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work!
My first effort was out of brambles harvested in my woods...what did you use?
It looks great whatever!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
That's a great basket - I'd love to be able to do that.

Well done Jack.

If you do take it to work though, don't put any ribbons on it...

Liam

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Thanks guys. It was indeed a course, but very informal, more a case of like minded people getting together and sharing ideas (much like this forum really). Really good day and a part of my "learn something new every week" plan.

It's made from willow, 2 types (sorry, can't remember the names). I am chuffed to bits with it and the idea of the picnic out of it is cracking! Currently it's got all my spoon carving bits in it.

Two weeks time I'm doing a wood carving course, I've already got the design sorted, so fingers crossed I'll have something else to post then.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
If you do take it to work though, don't put any ribbons on it...

Lol. Actually it was quite easy once you get the hang of it. The only difficult part was finishing off. Think I'm going to order a bolt of willow and have another go, this one was much taller than I'd wanted, I was thinking of making it a foraging basket with only one handle hole.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE